Going Over the Road with Knight

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Misesian, May 23, 2014.

1. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Well...if you include what's carried 'in the cab,' looks like I cant use that line anymore!:cool::p

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

Dont feel alone---been there/done that...both getting winched out of mud my 1st year of driving as well as having to wait a day to shower covered in sweat & residue (45K of bagged salt from a salt mine in Moab tailgated slightly 'up hill' w/pallet jack of pallets collapsing under the weight of 50 bags/pallet in 105F Las Vegas).

Learned to carry 2-3 gals of H2O, not only in case of breakdown during the summer in the middle of nowhere, but several times stripped down to my boxer briefs, stood by the 'sheltered side' of my truck, and poured over myself including washing hair (which btw, kept short for easy maint plus no cowlicks from going in/out of the sleeper), then putting on some clean clothes! Felt human again..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    That truck I was looking at isn't going to work out. Came back with an out of spec blow by number. Per Cummins an engine shouldn't blow above an 18 and this one was blowing 22 while not under load; it would have been more if under a load per Cummins. I will continue saving money and revisit it some other time. I am currently in Salinas, CA enjoying the weather. Best place I have been to in CA so far.

5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I have a couple picks around Bakersfield tomorrow back to Phoenix. It delivers on the 27th so I hope they get a good plan together so I don't end up with a short week.

6. OverDrive

From what I've heard and looking at some forums, the OEM diesel engine manufacturers recommend overhaul/rebuilts at 15K-20K hours of operation, and up to 25K hours pending workload---shorter if typical runs are running heavy loads thru the Rockies, etc.

If assuming typical OTR diesel engine averages 50 mph (assuming idling is no load and little wear), then that comes out to 750K to 1M miles, and up to 1.25M.

Rebuilts come at many levels and costs---from 10K up, with new diesel engines installed from $20K to $25K. Btw, heard one guy got a rebuilt that only lasted 200K miles.

Good idea to keep looking around and not get in a hurry to buy a used truck.

7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Salinas is nice except trying to find parking can be tricky

8. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Whoever owns this load didn't follow procedure before I arrived. I no longer have an appointment and am considered a workin and I still have another pickup to make in 3 hours.

9. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Sounds like the typical PHX terminal booking BS. Sometimes when it comes to cali loads It feels like they just build the loads and make up some time to put in.

boiseburb Thanks this.
  10. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I made it and checked in 2 minutes before my appointment time at the next. They sure have a lot of security for some pistachios.

11. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Because they keep getting those loads stolen is why. I believe 5 loads of nuts have been yanked this year already.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.