Going the speed limit vs keeping up with traffic in big cities.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by TypeONegative7, Oct 23, 2016.

1. TypeONegative7

TypeONegative7 Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2016
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Don't be a rock in the stream if you can avoid it.

str8t10 and TypeONegative7 Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I'm in a slow 62 mph truck too,but in slow traffic, say 45 mph average...it's way easier for me to drive 41 mph.
    I like being the rock.
    In most towns and cities on surface streets, with everyone racing to the next stoplight or wanting to cut me off and make their slow right turn. I find it easier to run 10 mph under the speed limit.
    Sure it sucks for the people behind me

Dominick253, slim shady and tinytim Thank this.
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I agree, I like being the rock too. most of the people in traffic can't drive worth a #### so I prefer to let them sail by me as quick as possible. Not that I really have much choice anyway; my truck does 65 but I rarely go above 62 for purposes of safety and fuel economy and it makes me more money.

And most of the time traffic is going 80-plus mph. It is grossly unsafe to go that fast in a truck for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

Another important reason for me is I do not want a ticket, or a mark on my clean record.

6. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I like a lot of space and that usually easier to manage when going close the speed as everyone else but often a bit slower.

I assumed the OP is talking about doing the speed limit of 45 even though traffic is flowing around you at 60 or more. Heading south of the circle in Chicago is what came to mind when I read the thread title. When traffic is doing 60+ maintaining the speed limit makes you a hazard.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Not to sound stubborn, but I disagree. I think the speeders are making themselves a hazard. They are making the choice to break the law. I'm not going to risk my license and my livelihood to make their useless lives a little bit easier for a few minutes.

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Not everyone can get pulled over for speeding. One cop, One outlaw. But that outlaw he pulls over could be you.
    I prefer to drive at or below the speed limit.

ronvicki6653, JOHNQPUBLIC and Kyle G. Thank this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I've read some threads here from people going with the flow of traffic that have been pulled over for speeding.

Not me. I maintain very close to the speed limit, even if the general flow is much faster.
    Especially in construction zones.

10. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Agree to a point. However, when in a high volume area like I described, going much slower than the flow makes things more hazardous for everyone, including you IMO.

My first priority is keeping lots of space around me. If I can do that and not make other peoples lives harder I'm happy.

kanidana and Roger McG Thank this.
  11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have a Qualcom and a camera in my truck.
    If something bad happens those will be the first things looked at, and they both record my speed.
    What happens if I am speeding, not withstanding what everyone else is doing around me if that happens?

It is just like if you are going with the flow of traffic and you get pulled over for speeding.
    Going with the flow is no defense, as you were speeding plain and simple.
    You were the one made an example of.

If I am going the speed limit with cars zipping around me, it is not me that is being the dangerous driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.