Going through DEF not sure why

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I'm not sure why but my truck is burning through DEF it seems a lot more than it should. When I first bought it the tank was at 100% and it got down to a 1/4 on Saturday so I filled it up to 100% again and now its already down to almost less than half full. I am wondering if it has to do with using the factory exhaust brake ? Anyone else have a RAM 2500 with DEF issues like this?

Thanks Guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Did you try cummins forums or ram specific ones? You're bound to get a better and quicker response.

4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    What's your def to fuel burn ratio? Engine brake shouldn't matter, if you're using far more than normal you are either leaking or the doser is just spraying the whole time.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  5. matski

matski Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Brooksville, FL
    I've gone as far as 4000 miles to as little as 2000 miles per tank of DEF. The harder your truck is working to pull the load the faster that stuff is blown into the exhaust. I have a 3500 but that shouldn't make any difference on DEF use. I have my exhaust brake set on automatic when towing.

LGarrison Thanks this.
  6. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    before doing anything else I would check for leaks

roadranger550 Thanks this.
  7. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I just had it serviced yesterday with my oil change and my mechanic said he didn't see any leaks his only comment was maybe since I went and filled up the DEF at Loves the bulk DEF at the pumps may be not as good as say buying the Blue DEF at the parts store in other words maybe the quality of the DEF at truck stops isn't that good compared to name brand but I am going to keep track of when I fill it and how many miles I get before it gets to a 1/4 tank again.

8. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well,Yes some dont believe it ,but I have gotten poor quality Def at Loves 5 or 6 times in a year.However this didnt cause it to use up quicker really,just fill up sight glass with water quickly.No leaks for sure? Then Id have to agree with exOTR its dosing constantly or someone siphoned it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.