Good Night From II

Discussion in 'Swift' started by scottied67, Feb 19, 2014.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Does swift have a policy against blind side backing? I just watched a LO (team or training, not sure) sight side back into a blind side angle spot. Teammate/trainer was on the phone with the driver giving directions. Came really close to hitting 5 different trucks before jacknifeing in.After they were done I politely asked why and was told courtly "we don't believe in blind side". I politely told him he had a headlight out and went on my way.

Is this a company thing or this guy's personal 'philosophy'?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    That is that guys personal philosophy. Swift has no policy against blind side backs, and in fact requires that students complete at least five blind sides during training. Coincidentally, I saw the same thing a couple days ago at the Edwardsville terminal. A l/o with a student backing into a spot. Should have been an easy blind side angle (easy depending on your set up), but the mentor made him sight side with a trailer parked across the lane in front of them making it even more difficult. I thought of asking why he would do such a stupid move, but figured it's not my place to judge how he chooses to train. The student did make it in without hitting anything, but I hope he learned there are easier ways to do things.

If that driver has a policy against blind side backs, I wonder how he parks at a Petro. Most of their spots are blind side angles.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  4. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Swift also has a seperate backing class, that you can take after you start. Trust me gentlemen, a lady likes it when a man knows all the way to back it in.

5. Ryan423

Ryan423 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2016
    California
    I recommend the lcqt course with John in the Phoenix terminal.

6. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Sumner, WA at the terminal.

It's been 30 years since I was in this area. Rolling up I-5 past Ft. Lewis (as it was called then), not much has stayed the same. I was happy to see that El Toro (a family owned Mexican restaurant) was still there; I ate there many tines during my tenure at Ft. Lewis.

We've been running hard the past ten days. A nice check this coming Tuesday, and this week is shaping up to be nice as well... assuming that we aren't stuck here until the regular planners come in on Monday.

Subutai Thanks this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Upstate NY just east of Buffalo at a TA.
    Very pretty up here, and I actually had a bit of snow today.

8. Charlie Mac

Charlie Mac Ears On, Hammer Down

Dec 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    On the side of I-271 in Cleveland waiting for the mechanic. Super-single blew out on the trailer. Tire guy came & changed the tire but the GD wire in the belt wrapped up in the brake chamber of the trailer.

Under a 72k load so not risking rolling with compromised brakes. Fun fun!

9. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Syracuse, NY at a little truck stop off I 690.
    The Pilot near here is a nightmare. There were some reserved spaces available but I didn't feel like paying. And trucks were lining the street in no parking zones.
    This place is pretty small with a dirt lot, but it is not crowded and quiet.

And 6 hours after my empty call, still no pplan.

10. jenziedk

jenziedk Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Ogden, UT at the Pilot. Dropped early this morning, no empties and junk loads out. The worst was repower get a reefer 175 miles deadhead, 350 to Idaho, then backed up with one to South Carolina. All I know about reefers is how to fuel them, change set points, and clean out the sticks & seeds.

11. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I've done a few reefer loads, and unless you are in the main fleet they never train you on how to do anything correctly.
    Fly by night, so totally. And I won't do them any more.

It's the same with 'helping out' day cab shuttle loads, or Walmart/ Target dedicated. I want nothing to do with it because I seem to get hosed every time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.