Good Night From II

Discussion in 'Swift' started by scottied67, Feb 19, 2014.

1. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Good luck with the flat bedding ferris. I tried it once when I first started, before I went to Swift. They say flat bedding ain't for sissies. I guess I'm a sissy then cuz it ain't for me. Lol.

First time pulling a reefer as well. Guess we will see how that turns out. On my third load since Thursday. So far it's all been d/h and other than the retarded macros, it hasn't been too bad. I know there are gonna be some live unloads with some long wait times, but I had that even with a dry van. Just gotta be open to new experiences.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Thank you

I'm the kinda guy that needs challenges, to the point of being masochistic. And I was always active before going OTR. I thought about it from day one, and the few real loads that came through the yard, and even the samples I've worked on thus far I attacked with a zeal and lust that I haven't felt in awhile (even for being as stiff and sore as I was on day 4). So far I'm thinking this will be the best decision I have ever made.

Some of the dedicated accounts here are great company side. After some OTR I'm going to try to get on western dedicated going to Canada, .50CPM, 75$ for Canadian dispatch. They even have a CMC account that delivers in Vegas (home) for .45CPM. plus a few others, but those are the only two I'm interested in.

Reefer is a mixed bag, it was with Central/Swift Ref anyway. I've had weeks that were all D/H and months of all live. But somehow I manged as a solo driver last year to pull off a 2800 mile average per week. The freight was also flowing better last year though. Wasn't so bad this year, I ran more recaps, mentoring took alot out of me, and destroyed my run every minute attitude.

When I am in the mood, I always used the 8-2 split to deal with slow customers. It's what kept me rolling and on time, when i wasn't interested in taking it easy.

I think Marten has more drop and hook reefer than us. But I've been shoved in the dock next to many Marten trucks as well, so who knows. You will probably learn to hate Wal-Mart with a new venomous passion as a reefer driver. Not all reefer customers are terrible, but there are some that stand out so badly it can leave drivers with a bad impression.

4. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Just wait until you get some produce loads coming out of CA and Nogales with Marten, you talk about wait times

5. FerrissWheel

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    I always had more problems delivering to Otay, than I did picking up in Nogales. Granted the warehouse in Nogales I picked up always had the stuff across the border first.

Finally tested out, tried to give me the only tractor in the terminal, a 15, but it needed body work, found a 14 in Laredo, so they are going to find a van for me to run down to Laredo.

I liked that 15 though, no onguard , no lane sensor, 9speed manual. Im guessing the 14 should be the same. They found out I wanted a manual and they were happy to oblige.

Totally different operation, I have one planner, three CSRs, my DM, and I have the actual cellphone # of both my DM and Ops manager. All really nice guys, brought me in the office met everyone that runs the Phoenix flatbed fleet. Granted that's not many. I'm liking the way this is looking.

6. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    That was the part about flatbed I LOVED, you're part of a tiny little fleet that has a completely different set of rules (compared to van).

7. FerrissWheel

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    It really is cool. Im liking it already, they actually work with you as a member of the team. instead of trying to be the mysterious wizard of oz.

I'm gonna leave out in the morning real early. I was up most of the bloody day. And as it turns out I'm not taking a van. Local driver actually hauled in a 53ft skateboard with 10ft spread. Got about 6ft high load front to back from the deck, and tarped. Left his stuff on it. Equipment guy left some spare supplies. And my cheater bar.

So I'm taking this down to Laredo to switch into a real flatbed truck. As much as I like this KW, it's not a flatbed truck.

8. SteveH85396

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    So did you get you're full compliment of flatbed equipment or just what was left on the skateboard and what you could scrounge?

9. SteveH85396

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    Did you buy a "real" winch bar or are you referring to the crappy ratchet bar Swift issues?

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    New Orleans, LA.

I delivered to a Home Depot across the bridge this afternoon, then headed to the nearest truck stop.
    Got a pplan on the way here wanting me to pick up by 1600 near here, with a note at the bottom that the place is open from 0700-1400.
    I called my DM to let him know that I would get it in the morning and have it in Atlanta by 1700 and he said that was good. Sent a mac 22 to update the times.
    A bit later I get a message from CSR saying that I can pick up preloaded trailers anytime.
    Well, I had already paid for parking here and had one of the last spots. Rush hour was in full swing, so I am sitting until morning.
    But now I know I can pick it up before 0700, so I can try to avoid the morning rush.

11. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Went through that area last week ... blew an hour of my clock on the overpass on I10 above the Loves at mm152, keeping a drunk from wandering into traffic after he had rear ended a car in front of him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.