Good Ol' Dick Simon--another Salt Lake bad apple

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by Tip, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boomer111

boomer111 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2011
    columbia la
    Jerry Moyes bought simon and got in trouble . so, as a "wedding present ",he gave it to his daughter. as to the question of if it is still a bad company , i will add this . i worked for these guys for a year and a half . when i started , there were 36 people in my orientation class . I was there to buy a truck so i got the w900 on the yard . every body else in the class who werent going to be o/o ,about four of us , were on planes ,buses ,rental cars and vans heading out to all points to recover abandoned trucks. the first dispatcher i got was an idiot. he would give freight out by race . if you were white , you better like the north east or sitting in the terminal doing city runs. and before you think i am exagerating , he was fired for it after 50 owner ops went to the west valley yard and told them either give us a new dm or take the truck back . when i got my new one , i was happy. i ran from georga to the west coast and back and was pulling cash in. then , the honey moon was over. the loads started to get shorter and shorter and the pay started to get slimer and slimer . what broke the deal for me was i was at west valley one night and a guy came in . he was the too cool for the room kinda guy and knew every thing . he said "well, i guess i have this trucking thing figured out ."i was flabergasted , he looked so young yet he must have 20 or3o years expierience so i was ready to learn something so i asked him , "so , how you figure that " he said , " well ,i have been driving for 30 days on my own , and tomorrow, i am going to the train the trainer class ,then , i am signing the contract on a new kw ." so i went and asked a dispatcher and the dispatcher said if they make 30 days on time and no accidents central will allow them to train. i had five years exp when i started training and still felt like a rookie and this guy was out in 90 days. well, i started getting short checks and when i investigated , they were double charging me for fuel. wnen i asked them , they said prove it . so i gave them back the truck and never looked back. if you are thinking about going there , dont. they are a rip off company and dont mind screwing you every chance they get. dont walk , run from these guys

skullitor Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rickway65

rickway65 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    I worked in the shop 1993 and started in wash bay and moved up. It was a good place to work and I'll never forget the blond driver with one blue and one green eye. She drove a cornbinder if my memory was right and she was beautiful, very down to earth as well. Remember Kelli running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Good memories there!

Skunk_Truck_2590 Thanks this.
  4. JR2000

JR2000 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2011
    You are wrong. My father drove for Dick Simon and he was not inexperienced and he was a very good driver.Dick Simon was a great Company!

Skunk_Truck_2590 Thanks this.
  5. bbechtel16

bbechtel16 Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    My how Central/Simon has changed! May have even gone full circle twice? I got my start there in 2010, stuck around that year, and have moved on. Gotta say it's decent equipment for a starter company though. I miss my Volvo!

6. bbechtel16

bbechtel16 Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    I stumbled on this thread googling "Simon central kelle" BTW. My curiosity about the whole saga of these companies lead me to do that. Anyone working for Kelle?

7. a little birdie

a little birdie Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2011

my husband was a truck driver with dick simon and it really was a terrible company...he worked there for 3 months and never got to see one check. He quit the company obiously, but anyway,they always came up with different excuses as to why they didnt pay him..Seemed like Dick simon's trucking did nothing more than use his drivers to get rich while the drivers drowned not caring about them or their families..All those people posting on here defending this horrible company that are saying family members worked for the company were not even drivers..seems like the only ones getting paid was them while their drivers were the ones bringing in the all the profit and yet never saw a dime..

8. Ryder276

Ryder276 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Apple Valley,Ca
    Worked for Dick Simon for Six months back in 1993, not a great company to work for but i had less than six months experience so i could not be picky.
    Nice trucks, set at 65 mph back then-was making 20.5 cents a mile.

Pic below was in front of my house (sorry for the bad pic quality, truck #490-Volvo)

[​IMG]

9. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Seems like I saw a door with Dick Simon Trucking on it on the Kelle's Transport yard in West Valley. Heard it was a small local company now, nothing like it was before Moyce did his takeover.

10. nljsr

nljsr Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2011
    How can a drive-by of a companies terminal disclose whether there a good company or not??? Who do u drive for Tip???

11. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I've seen a couple in recent days on the 15.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.