Good Recovery There Driver!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Mullet_Head87, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    Why you don't slam the breaks when leaving the pavement. Great Recovery on kenworths part.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    NO. DON'T slam the brakes stupid. There is a left slope. You touch brakes, over into the other side you go head on to a batch of vehicles big and small then destroy the forest over yonder., Messy.
    ]
    This tape is familair to some of us. It's been circulating for a while. It's VA I-295 NB I think West Chester Rte 10 exit. East of Richmond. The trees there threw me off thinking Delaware or Ohio when I first saw the video.

There is a well developed thread.

Watch the yellow truck and learn. You touch NOTHING. You DO gently ease a wheel, then several wheels back onto the pavement. Notice the left hand curve yonder and little traffic will help out.

Dave_in_AZ and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I watched this the other day. The dude making the video is the one that causes a lot of this. If your gonna drive inflexible, your gonna have a lot of these. I think he should have given the clown that cut him off a lot more room earlier on, you could see this coming.
    Just another reason we need autonomous cars, not trucks.
    I can't figure how the Yellow KW didn't roll it into the weeds. The first time I saw it, I fully expected to see him going over. If that was me, I'd have some words for the dude making the video.
    He used up some of his good luck that day, and a perfectly good pair of shorts.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I ran my FLD 120 off road once in a driving rain storm. One of my drives caught the edge (I was falling asleep actually...) and off I went. I slammed the throttle down when she started falling down in that mud and hoping to hell the other drives did not leave the pavement and tilt beyond the few inches that the rears can still transmit power.

She got one wheel back on out of the mud and as the others came back on it worked out well. But there was a savage shake that threw down all the freight off all the pallets back there as the upslope of the land kicked me back onto the highway.

I could not tell you what the trailer did nor did I care really. It just followed along nicely thank god.

As soon as the right hand drives hit the pavement out of the mud which was about a foot deep at this point they had to climb that edge of concrete straight up and Im glad they did. I killed the power at that moment. if I kept adding power I might have shredded all those tires. I don't know about you but losing 4 kabooms is not in my cards today. I had enough of my plate at that point in time.

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Yikes, good save indeed by the KW driver, but he was #### lucky. I wonder if he should have just rode it out and steered into the center of the median where it's level. Probably would have gotten stuck in the mud, but better to have a wrecker pull you out of the mud then have the coroner pull you out of a rolled over truck. I guess he lucked out though.

7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I must be missing something....car brake checks him....moves left to avoid.....but there are 4 lanes....guessin yellow kw in 3d...moves to 4 when cut off truck moves left..??but why cut off truck swerve across 2lanes forcin yellow truck in ditch? Hard tellin w/out seein rear view.....

8. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Locked up the brakes and started to jackknife, he didn't intentionally move across two lanes of traffic.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The tractor tried to jackknife on him inside the red KW, there is no point debating yellow truck with spread axle becuase we do not have mirrior view.

I recognize the classic signs of a tractor jacknife beginnings. It's viciously fast once past 15 degrees or so. This save is right on the bleeding edge on dry pavement too... most assuredly some damage in the rig beginning with tires after this episode.

10. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Ya, you can clearly hear the truck with the camera in locking up the tires. Rough go all around and some quick thinking on the part of the yellow KW driver.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No, My thinking on yellow trucker with spread, he made a deliberate choice to use that grass. Not too many have balls to allow a 18 wheeler into that grass, other side showed possible recent rains indicating real soft grass. Yellow trucker applies enough power to hold stable on grass, put one wheel on pavement and then work on the rest of the wheels. Freaking popeye arms at work on that man's steering wheel I tell you. Ive been on grass at speed before.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.