1. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I'm interested in getting one so that I can make videos of me loading & unloading equipment and for at home with the kids. Also want to set it up as a dashcam.

What is my best option at the lowest price?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I was looking at their new little bitty square camera... Just a lens... It uses your smart phone for the viewer and controls.

Not as high end as their main models.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I have not kept up with the GoPro lines the last 6 months or so but they are a great camera. You may or may not want one with WiFi to control remotely. This also allows you to see what the camera is seeing at it's given setting on your phone.

The little "Session" model may be adequate. I have not studied this new model to determine what it can not do. But if you can find a used Hero 4 that you can afford, that might be a good option. Accessories for the Hero are readily available at many big box stores.

GoPro has much better support in terms of web, accessories, and help then other "active video camera" options such as Sony.

You don't need super fast record rates such as 120 or 240. This is only useful for creating slow-motion clips of fast action.

Bottom line if you go GoPro, you won't be sorry. That said, there are many normal digital cameras that are water-proof to a point that record 1080p video just fine, and will mount on any typical tripod setup, and these can be gotten for <$200. These will give you the option of having zoom when/where you may not feel comfortable setting up close to your scene.

Also get the biggest and fastest SD (or micro SD) card you can afford. I recommend When done, copy new files onto a laptop, but leave them on the SD card as a backup unless you need to free up space. I recommend Sandisk Extreme (Class 10 if you want to do any 4K recording)

I don't recommend 4K (UHD) recording, and especially if you don't have a REALLY powerful new computer/laptop for video editing. Especially if it does not have a newer hardware based 4k h.265 encoder. 1080 HD video is perfectly okay still today, and to archive 4k video (even if recorded in smaller h.265 format) you'll need a LOT of storage space.

GoPro is still using the h.264 format (as opposed to super-compressed h.265 found in some newer Samsung cameras). This video can be handled (video editing) on most any laptop bought the last year or two. FYI h.265 was developed to handle the HUUUUUGe file needs of 4k video [that is MUCH larger then 1080 HD], and to keep file size manageable, at a cost of requiring massive processing overhead to decode and encode

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Dieselboss and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Will the go pro loop when the SD card fills up and provide non stop operation?
    Can u get a 12v power port charger?

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If I remember correctly the GoPro can be set to do interval clips and loop. The gopro can be powered via any USB power source but I don't think it will charge the battery while On and plugged in

7. .RYAN

.RYAN Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've heard the GoPros overheat as dash cams.

8. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    They can, unless you get the housings with more ventilation. The newest one has something called "the frame". Maximum ventilation. No water resistance.

They automatically shut down if they get too warm.

9. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I have been testing the "Hero Session" model for about 3 weeks now. It gets remarkably warm especially if connected with WiFi and recording. And it is not hot yet where I am. It has not shut down. But one of the findings I have made so far concerns how that will do in August in Texas or Arizona, etc. However, they are a very big company. I am assuming that they have built it to handle this.

It is designed as a "action cam" for sure and not as a primary dash cam. As an action cam is is "in the wind" in most cases. Or even "in the water." We shall see...

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you're wanting sharper video for video productions and occasional use, the gopro will do that but I doubt it will hold up long in a windshield in the summer running as a dashcam. Plus you lose some of the other benefits that a true dashcam offers in a dashcam application.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.