Gordon or Knight Transportation?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by reefertank, Apr 13, 2015.

1. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I got offered a job with both companies. Should I go with one or the other? I'm in Idaho and am trying to get a pre-hire letter to test out next week, but I'm not sure which outfit to go with.

Gordon:
    -10 spd, APU, inverters, gov'd at 62mph, .35 CPM + .01 CPM *Hazmat = .36 CPM on the 6th month. End of year, .04 cpm increase = .40CPM with possible .01 cpm safety bonus
    = .41CPM.

Knight:
    -9 spd, no APU or Inverters, gov'd at 65mph, .37 CPM + .5 quarterly bonus by the 6th month = .42CPM. End of year, possibly .43CPM, more or less depending on your managers review on your performance. --- BUT lets say I don't get the full .05 cpm bonus, instead I earn .41CPM, possibly .42. The bonus has to do with safety, on-time record, and fuel.

Training is 4 weeks for both, Gordon pays $600 a week I believe, and Knight pays $400 a week. Equipment quality should be the same. Miles should be the same.

I've heard a lot of good from Gordon *gti*. I haven't heard much until yesterday about Knight. But I heard our local terminal is pretty cool.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    From what I have read on the forums GTI is a much better bet than Knight. The easiest thing to do is search the forums and read up on both. Gordon is a very friendly place to work, but they are, "by the book".

4. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I was with gti 5 years before leaving after heartland bought them and really cannot recommend them now...

never heard anything good about knight...

my advice would be keep looking...but of those 2 gti would have a slight edge over unemployment

Chinatown and Dna Mach Thank this.
  5. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Ha-ha... I've exhausted myself... these are the 2 best in my area that is willing to hire a student. The 3rd and 4th in line is May Trucking Company and D&D Transportation. May pays .35 cpm after 6 months, and that's it, with a minimum guarantee pay. D&D can start you anywhere from .33cpm to .42cpm but I've heard good and bad. I'm not risking it with D&D... I need to know my base pay... recruiter may just be throwing that .42cpm to lure me into the pit.

None of the LTL outfits called me back or has told me i need a minimum of... and tankers, not many tanker jobs in my area that will hire a student. Hopefully, after my first year, I can find a good paying job in the oil fields or a OTR tanker job.

Chinatown and knuckledragger Thank this.
  6. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Oil fields are pretty well working out now...in your case gti may be the best...

they do have an excellent training program for students

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Decker Truck Line
    Pride Transport-XM radio/satellite TV/refrigerator
    Freymiller
    Midwest-coast Transport - terminal in Boise
    Navajo Express
    Don Hummer Trucking

Cents per mile was always last on my list of priorities; doesn't mean much when you look at the big picture such as freight lanes, assessorial pays, benefits. With all my experience was making $.36 cents per mile but at the end of the year made $65K.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    TruckerNerd and Highway101 Thank this.
  8. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I just called Navajo. They are out of the question.
    Freymiller won't hire me, I can't remember why.

Don Hummer doesn't look like they have a training program for my state, but i'll call them to verify.
    Pride had a really low CPM so I rejected them, but i'll call them back again and ask for more details.
    I'll call Decker tomorrow.

Thanks China.

9. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Have you considered Lessors? They have a terminal in Caldwell. APU/Inverter, 68 mph. I don't know how long you've been driving, you do need experience.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A few minutes ago I received a PM from a Navajo driver friend, he said they're averaging 3,000 miles a week. Maybe some others reading this thread will be interested.

11. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    No experience.
    And I just talked to an employee from may trucking... found out they have a bonus program where you can make up to .45 CPM... He's getting 3,000 to 3,500 miles a week...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.