Got No electricity... No power to start, no On the dash,

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HopeOverMope, Aug 21, 2016.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I have a second truck that I've been babysitting until I clear up a few things with it and today I went to move it to cut my grass. Well there was no power at all. Nothing on the dash lit up, no air buzzers, etc... I was gone for about 2 weeks and had it running warm before I left...

I had to leave the house to go finish this load I'm under but I was looking for some pointers or advice on troubleshooting... I didn't leave any lights on or anything like that... Though once I get it back running I need to make sure there wasn't a light under the bunk or something that may have been on...

My plan when I get back is to test the voltage at the batteries with the key on... 2nd, take the batteries out & take them to NAPA and load test them... Check for grounding issues... I know there's an oil leak @ the cam followers that is leaking basically right over a stud on the frame that is used for grounding 4 or 5 wires... ((This will be corrected b4 the truck hits the road)) ...But I just drove the truck 1500 miles home no problem about a month ago...

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and safe trails

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    One bad battery will drain 3 good ones in that length of time. I would start there, hook up jumper cables and see real quick if dash lights on before anything.

NavigatorWife and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  4. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I see... So when I do this, I should hook up the cables directly to the battery right? And If so, which battery would be the best to hook onto

5. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    I assume you have 4 batteries and you talking about cam followers I assume it's an old cummins so it shouldn't matter which one. just hook to cables and you should have headlights, a dome light, anything. That will verify a battery issue or that something was left on.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  6. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    10-4. Yea it's an N-14 celect but only 3 batteries on this one.

7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Had this problem with a 1995 KW W9 just last week. turned out being a main circuit breaker inside the battery compartment had burnt out. It's a main breaker that powers everything in the cab. Guy at the KW dealer said this was a common part to fail. If this is a KW of the same vintage, I'd check that first.

8. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I pulled apart and cleaned all the connections in the battery box of my 95 w9 recently. Their isnt a breaker in there. Relays yes. No breakers though. I have a 3406e though.

9. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    I had this happen recently, and the culprit was a fusible link that had chafed and welded itself to a metal bracket. Could be any hot wire doing it, but in my case it was a fusible link

tommymonza and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  10. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Loose battery cables. I have 2 trucks and every so often one will be dead like this. Roadshock, vibrations will do it. Locktite helps, even a quarter of a turn on one cable will kill it

11. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Okay so I cleaned everything up real good, couldn't seem to find my multi meter. But I hooked up jumper cables and charged them from my other truck. Well I got the lights on the dash to come back on... I've been charging the batteries for a little over 30 minutes now with the truck idling around 1100 rpm.... It's clicking but not really trying to start... It has made some vibration like it was wanting to start turning over.../// Is it that the batteries aren't charged up enough?? I tried to start it about 15 times and I didn't want to burn out the starter... I was going to tap on the starter but I'm new to the N-14 and don't know exactly which one the starter is. I see the a/c compressor, air compressor, power steering pump, alternator on the passenger side, ...

Any more pointers or tips?

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.