Got yelled at at scale house

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bdog, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I have been driving about a year and half but I mainly haul my own stuff and very rarely go over scales just because of the areas I normally go to. I do go through a scale into New Mexico on regular basis and they have a green light and a red light. Green light means go and red light means park which usually is just to buy a permit.

Anyway I am rolling up I-35 into Oklahoma and go across the scales and the light turns red. I creep on up off the scale and park in the first available spot and walk in. When I get in there the scale dude starts screaming at me. Do you know what red means? I said yes sir pull in and bring your paperwork and he says no it means stop! It is just like a traffic light and you just ran a red light and I could give you a $500 ticket, I told him I am sorry sir I misunderstood I thought it meant to park it and come in. He screams back what do you do when you see a red light on the street? I reply I stop and he sais well why didn't you here? I said I don't have a lot of experience going through scales and the one I do go through in New Mexico when they give you the red light they want you to park and come in and he screams back you are not in New Mexico. It went on and on for about 15 minutes and he let me go with no tickets. I guess I was in the wrong but it wasn't like just drove off I saw the light and parked like I thought I was supposed to.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yer lucky,... Yelling is that happens. (And they are very good at it.)

If they want you around back they will tell you in states other than NM. Some states reinforce that with a arrow directing you around back and red for the interstate.

I once blew a approach into the vicksburg Miss scales, it had a 15 mph sign in the ramp, blew that while braking at 50 plus from 70 plus and platform was not that far ahead. Barely managed to halt before putting it onto the platform. They proceeded to yell. *Shrugs.

That's not the worst of it.

Cops love to yell about red lights. Im not sure if the single words make it easier to increase the volume of verbal abuse about red lights... I'll have to think on that.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    1st off i woulda made that dot dick slow his roll....You only moved on a red light you didnt run his dog over..

5. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Well, next time somebody yells at you or threatens you tell them to "get to it then". I'm to old to be treated like a child. Want to write a 500 dollar fine. Better get to it I need to get back to work. Make sure you write legibly since I don't want to miss court.

Mattflat362, A21CAV, lilillill and 6 others Thank this.
  6. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Sometimes it's best to let them think they've won. You did the right thing. Take the ace chewing and be on your way. Little people with an ounce of authority and a complex...

It would be nice to see all the scales operate woth the same standards. Some you stop on the scale, others you roll on through. I got in the same type of trouble first time I went into Louisiana. I just got my butt chwewd over the intercom, though.

bbechtel16, TB John and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    For me there is the three words.

####! Yer Heavy! Yes I am, what's the fine? *DOT *&^%$# sputters, ventilates...

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    They usually tell me at the speaker or tree light if they want me to go in.

I never heard of red light mean come in with your paperwork, then again I never been to NM but now I know.......

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I've been through a few where your rolling across and they trip the red light in an attempt to get you to F up, just so they can call you in. I've been across too many scales, and you know what's going on after awhile. Usually when they start the game, your at least getting a Level 3.
    Your case the dude was trying to just scale your axles lol. Live & learn. No ticket. Little time lost, hopefully your on paper so it doesn't matter. Make sure you log your time there ON DUTY, cause that's one place they can check in an audit.
    No ticket its a win. Just remember that DOT has to go home to his wife that's a BEAST lol.

MidWest_MacDaddy and bzinger Thank this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I don't argue with them it does no good. They are gonna do what they want. I give polite direct answers. However yelling isn't tolerated. They are the authorities but it doesn't give them the right to treat you hostile when you are not. Do I get mad yes. Do I yell back no. I do get their attention by calmly pulling my cell phone out going to voice record while they continue. Play it back and say don't you feel stupid. I need to speak to a field training officer please.

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    That makes my blood boil op ! Had a similar experience with that ####y punk at the rusk Wisconsin scale a few years ago ...only the threat of jail kept me from schooling that disrespectful punk..
    Years ago a dart driver threw a scale master with a bad tude through a door into an icy parking lot to demonstrate the lack of traction lol...he got fired .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
    Reason for edit: Last name removed.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.