Gotta love Flatbed to do Flatbed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Hurst, May 12, 2015.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Warm weather is here.

Sitting home and reminiscing as I look through pictures of loads I have done.

Came across these,.. and nope,.. I was not happy in -9 weather,.. leaving Williston and having to leave through Montana because the south route was blocked from a wreck and snowed over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door swinger dont understand why we do it,.. then some whine when they dont make enough money. Then whine about the conditions flatbedders have to work under when they try it and decide its not for them.

Flatbedding is not for the faint of heart.

Hurst

Lucky&FrogOTR, 91B20H8, Kujo and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Soooo, how much does that liteweight aluminum stepdeck weigh again???

Hurst Thanks this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Hey...us door swinger have problems in winter too, have you try moving tandems on ice!? man! We have to find a flatbedder to lend us a piece if wood! and u know what they say about them flatbedder and their wood....

Big_D409, peterbilt_2005 and Hurst Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    11,400 tare weight. Not sure with all my gear. I'd guess in the 13k range with the ramps and full bozes. Its a 53' Fontaine Infinity. 33,100lbs empty, with 05 C15 powered Columbia.

Funny thing is I scaled that load with the crane Jib and counter weights originally had me at 79k,.. the snow and ice put me at 84k by the time I hit Cheyenne.

I question my sanity at times and wonder why I just dont go pull a box. Much easier and other than shifting axle weight,.. less stressful IMO.

Hurst

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    catalinaflyer and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Never pulled van,.. but did Reefer for a few years. I dont miss sliding the rear axles. Particularly when the brakes wont hold enough to slide,.. either due to the tracks being so dry and rusted,.. or brakes out of adjustment.I've used everything from speed bumps to parking blocks to aid sliding the axles.

Spread axle is much easier to deal with in that regard.

Oh,.. and if we got our wood back and didnt have to stand guard out in the freezing cold to make sure we got it back,.. or were woken up with the poor guy banging on the side of my sleeper,.. maybe we might not have as much animosity. Just saying,.. LOL :)

Hurst

7. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    dont flatbed drivers have it easier when it comes to pick/delivery though?

like most places that you pickup or drop loads you dont have to park in a tight spot with no space you just swing around and have a forklift unload/load you?

also if your parking in a truck stop its sometimes easier because you can see over your load at the truck next to you on the blind side.

also door swingers have those crazy loads sometimes with 8 drops in brooklyn... yea flatbed dont got to deal with that BS atleast.

Hurst Thanks this.
  8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Sounds to me like you've almost talked yourself into making the jump over t the flat side of the force, hand...

Hurst Thanks this.
  9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Yep, you can see right over your load..... Periscope anyone? But a lot of the time we are over width, over height, over weight or any combination there of. I have been 15 feet tall, 13 wide, 107 feet long nose to tail and grossing 126k. Not all at the same time. At least door swingers have an address. Many times the directions we get are "just drive around (insert town name here) you will find it. Better yet try delivering to the middle of nowhere on N Dakota.

This load was 14'8" tall 11'6" wide and grossing 126k. Hills were real long on one side and short on the other.

[​IMG]

cglascoe01, Kujo, Hurst and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Yup a lot easier.......................considering 90% of the stuff I haul I can't see over, or around. I consider it a great day if I can look under the load and see the front axle on the trailer.

Oh and did I mention that most of these loads have to be pulled out through a door that at best only has a couple inches of clearance on either side then backed in through another door with the same couple inches. The big boxes have to be pulled into the largest building in the world through a tunnel that's exactly 1 foot wider than the box then blind sided in between airplanes. The wings have to be backed up a ramp into a dock height building and through a door that is again only a foot wider than the load itself.

Ask some of the steel haulers about backing down into the loading platforms at the steel plants where your backing out of the bright sun into a dark building and have 1" of clearance on either side of your trailer. You can't be off by 1/2" or you'll tear up the rub-rails. At least when I back up at the customer I have a bunch of people watching and out on the road I have a couple pilots with radios watching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peterbilt_2005 and Hurst Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I've had many multiple stops in Brooklyn. Having to untarp and tarp again at each one. The difference, the vast majority of our loads are normal working hours. Oh and we get paid better.

cglascoe01 and Hurst Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.