Governing lease trucks illegal

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Space Boogie, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    I joined you.

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Do you dispatch yourself or does the company decide where you're going? Can you sit at home if you choose? If the company is controlling these aspects of your "business", they most likely have the legal right to force you to run 67 (or 62 or 75 or whatever).

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    When you lease your truck over to Swift they will require you to bring it into their shop to have it governed to 68 max mph even if your name is on the title.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. Stevo Wise

Stevo Wise Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    Good possibility that there insurance set the governed speed of these trucks , and if it's a lease truck ,it would be in the lease agreement on the set parameters of the truck , that you don't have so sign. That's how they legally get away with it . You sign the contract , as far as an independent. . I don't know of one that there truck is governed

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Which is something, as the owner of the truck, you have the right to say "HECK NO!" and take YOUR truck elsewhere...a luxury not enjoyed by somebody renting a truck from Swift's L/P division to then sign on with Swift. Some companies also require equipment no older than a specified age as well...which again is THEIR right to do so, as it is MY right as a truck owner to simply take MY truck elsewhere or buy a newer truck if I really want to work with that company. A truck owner has a choice, and the truck goes with the truck owner. A truck renter does not have these same choices. A renter is stuck with whatever the company has available, and if you leave that company, you do so without the truck.

CJndaTruck and brian991219 Thank this.
  7. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    How is governing a truck a tax classification question?

8. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    :biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:

Ahhhhh yes. Had a good laugh at that one.

With that said, this thread is great. Very informative thank you to all contributors.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Mine's better, it craps out Lucky Charms. With blue stars even.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Doh!

11. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Taking that one small step further, the insurance company providing the policy may actually require, yup, a governor set at anything they want to within the policy.

Now one could reject their offer and speed limit requirement but then you need to find a policy that will allow unlimited speed. Which is possible but it might cost you more in premiums.

So even if financed doesn't mean you will be free of a speed limiter... Or if you are, at what cost.

But I am guessing that too is illegal... ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.