GPS before orentation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bamalife123, Aug 24, 2016.

1. bamalife123

bamalife123 Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    ALABAMA
    Do you need to buy a GPS before you get there or do the trucks have one already. I heard some do and some don't. Are is there a good one you need to buy. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    You should start driving without a GPS. You should learn the very basics. The GPS won't always be there for you.

4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Save your money to find out what the truck has in it first. As for using a gps, I've always used one since i got into orientation with tmc. I've yet to led astray, however to l that doesn't mean the gps was right 100% of the time. That is where common sense and using those things called eye balls comes into play. It also helps if you have a good sense off direction

tscottme and bamalife123 Thank this.
  5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Fingerless gloves would be a better investment. Show up to orientation wearing those and they'll know you mean business.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Can you read a map if not you better learn.Its best to call your recruiter and ask her or him that question.But no matter what it's essential you know how to read and understand an atlas preferably a truckers atlas.

RustyBolt, bamalife123 and HotH2o Thank this.
  7. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    You will need the rand McNally Truckers atlas, as it has regulations on weights, etc., for all 50 states and Canada, and it shows all the scales.
    You will want to wait to get gps until you are assigned a truck. I have an app for my android tablet, that costs $10 a month. I decide each month if I want to continue it or not. I like the app, and it has good reviews. You can also buy it for a smart phone.
    take some time to decide what you want to buy, as you can spend over $200 for gps.

8. johnwayne187

johnwayne187 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2016
    yea, all trucks as qualcomm equipped with the truck.. some has the older models but still functionable. its best to have 2 gps, good to hve options. i hve 2 gps in my truck.. good for when u in town giving u the best truck routes. when i was with my trainer, the qualcomm let us all the way into a town where we got stuck and the only way to get out was to uncouple and direct the trailer into the right position so we can do a u -turn

bamalife123 Thanks this.
  9. bamalife123

bamalife123 Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    ALABAMA
    What app is that?

10. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    GPS is for telling you when the road you chose is coming up. Not for telling you what road to choose.

Some also tell you traffic delays along the route.

That being said, my Rand McNally rarely differed from company directions...

MIkeeee

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  11. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Buying a GPS before orientation is not something that actually matters. You will not need it during orientation. Orientation is about peeing into a cup and passing a drug test. Then there is the waiting for the test results. That is it. They fill the time with class work but you work is not graded. You watch videos and get crappy lunches. You will do a test ride of less then 10 miles and you will have the instructor with you.

However, you will leave from orientation to go out on the road. If you are going solo, I would buy the GPS beforehand and practice using it. Explore all the features. The one to get is up to you. I prefer Garmin. Others the Rand McNally or even Co Pilot. Those are tools. Maps are good although I use them mainly to kill flies. It will of course depend on your financial resources and your tech IQ. If you get a Garmin 770 LMT which is my first choice, play around with the different functions. Preplanning, IFTA reporting and the like. The 4 square feature is really nice.

And as I started to say if you are going solo you will have need for the GPS on day one. If you have to team your trainer will provide all you need to get you there. If you can afford it there is a Garmin that includes a dash cam. It is around $500 so you will have to decide but mine is worth it.
    dēzlCam™ LMTHD

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.