GPS with Truck Routes

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by new bee, Mar 4, 2007.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bobtail Member

Supposedly, the Rand McNally is shipping on, or about, September 17, according to Go Truck Stop. Also the New PC Miler is shown there, but after reading about the troubles with the 430, I am going to buy a 440 and keep it in excellent condition, until I am pretty sure they worked the bugs out of the 430, to create the 440.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bobtail Member

Has anyone tried the Goodyear GY500X?

4. jdc

jdc Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I contacted Garmin directly because I wanted to do this with hubby's and their web site I found to be lacking in quite of bit of information. We were advised that the ONLY garmin with trucker routes on it is the 465 and that you cannot upgrade other units to include the truck route maps.

5. jdc

jdc Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I wonder which one will get things right though. I've been reading posts here for the past hour and a half and seems no one has anything spectacular to say about any of them and most everyone indicates they all have their problems. Not that I would expect perfection from any of them, but geez, they all see to advertise they do things that they don't do.

6. bangngears

bangngears Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    metamora, Ohio
    well i have a garmin 650 and i would not trade it for the world. i love it, makes my life easy and it helps when you go to places the atlas gets you to the town the gps gets you to the door. You have to watch any of them and double check the route but i think it is a great tool for the driver. on top of routing it finds food motels walmart ect its great

7. Big D trucker

Big D trucker Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2009
    jacksonville,fl
    garmin 465t ,now cobra and rand mcnalley has one for truckers all about 500 dollars

8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    And they are all vastly different in terms of usage and size.

Here's the latest on that front:

PC Miler Nav: $199 - $499 (4.3", 5", 7")
    Garmin 465T: $499 (4.3")
    Rand McNally: $499 (5")
    Goodyear: $409 (4.3")
    Cobra: $499 (7")
    TeleType: $229 - $749 (3.5", 5", 7")

9. jatc1969

jatc1969 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2010
    valley stream ny
    i am a local driver in NYC that is looking for a gps that has a setting for trucks.my verizon cell phone has one!!was hoping to find a stand alone gps that does not cost 499.00....any ideas

10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    There are a couple of threads here on this website in regards to stand alone GPS's... but you could visit DieselBoss and look at his reviews on several different types of truck navigation devices.

Thanks,
    Mark

11. gregbo

gregbo Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Cherry Valley IL
    Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious. GPS is an excellent tool for truck drivers and I'm getting weary of reading comments on these threads from drivers who can't seem to get their brains around that fact (maybe they're the dinosaurs). If nothing else, just reminding me that my exit is coming up in a half mile has probably saved a few hundred miles out of route which pays for the unit. I had an old Garmin 630 (I think) with truck routing and I will testify it does route you differently than in car mode. Sadly it quit due to abuse on my part and I bought the 1300 car unit. Missed my exit in chicago a few weeks ago and decided to rely on it only because there wasn't anyplace to pull over and check my map, and found myself staring at a 13' bridge on 79th st. Miraculously a former truck driver walked up, tapped on the window and said " you can blind side into that alley or you can back up to the intersection. Either way I've got the traffic and I'm gonna give you directions to your destination." He knew exactly where I was going, even told me where the guard shack was. The alley was about 12' wide with a telephone pole on both corners so I decided to take my chances backing up. He held up the buses and cars for a block and a half, showed me where to turn around, and got me to the shipper. Saved my ### big time. I gave him 10 bucks, which he didn't ask for, but should have given him a hundred for the grief he saved me. Spent a whole 5 minutes talking to this guy but I don't think I'll ever forget what he did for me that day.
    Anyway I'm shopping for a truck routing gps that might not lead me down that road again. Even then I won't rely on it in every case. Look at the map, look at your company's directions, call the customer if it helps (usually dosn't), and use the gps but don't trust any of them exclusively. I look for 2 out of 3 and it works 99% of the time.
    Having said all of that, even the cheapest car gps will make your life a whole lot easier when added to your toolbox of routing and will save you enough time and money to pay for itself very quickly. I personally wouldn't drive without one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.