GPS with Truck Stop Finder?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by OnTheGo, May 21, 2007.

1. calmar_1955

calmar_1955 Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Iowa
    If you have a laptop in your rig, you might consider the CoPilot Truck Laptop 9 software. (Available on eBay from multiple sources).

The mapping, as I understand it, is based on a version of PC-Miler.

If you have your own GPS antennae, you will be able to get by with only the software (ranges from $179 - 230). If you have to buy the GPS antennae too, you can choose from USB and Bluetooth versions.

Advantage? I would go with USB, as it plugs directly into your laptop for it's power source. I don't know how long the Bluetooth version would run on a charge, but knowing Mr. Murphy and his laws, my antennae's power would run out at the least appropriate time.

The software will export state fuel mileage tax reports.

Plus, this software reportedly knows about Haz-Mat routing, low underpasses, weight restrictions, etc.

Hope this helps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. calmar_1955

calmar_1955 Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Iowa
    Co-Pilot 10 for trucks is out - will run on Windows Mobile/Pocket PC OS. That would be interesting!

I don't know how it works, but I understand some of the GPS units will get accident/traffic information via the wireless mobile device, then offer suggested re-routes. This would be very useful if the truck-version of Co-Pilot did the same.

Co-Pilot 10 w/blue tooth GPS receiver runs $350. Requires Windows Mobile 5 or older OS. All this per the ALK web-site.

It seems I heard the Garmin 350 also offers a truck setting, but does not include low clearances or weight restrictions. This setting, as I understand it, will not route you through residential areas, or suggest u-turns.

4. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Got my CoPilot Truck for my Axim last week....Made it home this past weekend for my dad's 80th B-Day! Got everything ready to go....put in the first disc.....going great!!! Asks for 2nd disc....put it in................NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the disc. I was livid. Tried to call ALK customer service......got the machine. Sent an e-mail, got a response in just a few minutes. I told them in the e-mail to call me...All they they would do is send e-mails....BUT they did tell me they would send me a TESTED disc. It'll be @ the house tomorrow....BUT I WON'T!!!!! I do realize that this kind of thing happens....I was just really lookin' forward to gettin' this thing goin'. More after I get this installed. Maybe I'll get back by the house this week.

5. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just GOOGLED for DELL Axim and came up with several links. TRY That, or try eBay a couple times per week.

6. cowboyfan1982

cowboyfan1982 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Edmund. WI
    I was wondering if any truckers use GPS systems or any kind of navigation to help you with directions other then a map. From my understanding, you can get direction through Qualcom too from your dispatcher? If any of you do use GPS do they update you as to where there is construction and possibly streets where trucks are not allowed?

Personally, I think it would be easier to ask and listen to tomtom then to keep glancing at Qualcom or a map while concentrating on city streets.

7. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    If you do a search on the subject it has been covered quite a bit on here.

8. cowboyfan1982

cowboyfan1982 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Edmund. WI
    Didn't even think about that, thanks.

9. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Leave GPS until you have some (quite a bit) of experience under your belt. The GPS's in my opinion are dangerous for new people in trucking. Your attention needs to devoted fully to the outside surrounding and the problems that are ahead, to the side etc. Don't let this happen to you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This driver had very limited experience and was looking at a GPS for directions and NEVER SAW the bridge!

Be safe out there boys and girls..

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Can you say "DUH!!"?

Where was that at?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.