Grain Hauling Companies of Illinois - General Topic

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by TopFlights, Jan 20, 2007.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I am not driving any more. If you are out of OTR for more than 2 years sometimes less they want a refresher course for insurance reasons. The company that I found with the good home time policy for me wanted me to go get 6 months recent and then switch to them. I checked with a lot of companies. All of them wanted recent OTR or a refresher. Even my last OTR company asked how much recent OTR I had since I left them. I told them none I did a 2 year local gig. They said I would need a refresher. Only one company would take me and I was not going to go with Swift for 6 months to do it. All of a sudden I lost the fever to go back out!:toothy10:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kc8vje

kc8vje Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2007
    East Point, KY 41216
    Please don't think I'm knocking you... I'm not picking a fight at all..

I'm confused here..........

how is this relevant to the conversation....... I thought we were talking about experienced drivers that have (for whatever reason) left the OTR lifestyle to go local for a few years, and now attempting to go back OTR only to be told by the companies that you no longer have truck driving experience, even though you never stopped driving.

Not true.......

There are several companies that do not utilize DAC services and simply resort to keeping personal employee records, however, as you said, most companies do use DAC, and if nothing is on there after a certain point, they will refuse you simply because they assume your driving career ended on the last reported item on your DAC. Celadon told me this just last week.

True, for some companies. Not here. If you look on the internet at the demographics here in our little neck of the woods, you'll find that the median pay for jobs of this type are well below $10 per hour, simply because of the economic situation in the area.

Not denying this one bit, however, some of the places I've applied to simply do not accept meere tractor trailer experience, they want tractor trailer experience driven over 4 or more states.

I'm picky with my companies... I want weekly hometime.... Heck, I've been home every night for the past few years, and now got youngins'. (not being a crybaby, just stating facts)

Again, no contest here.... It happens at some companies, however, I've not applied for everyone, only a handful..

True..... I don't really care about pay, my main focus is consistent hometime. Really, If I do go back OTR/Regional, it'll only be until the coal business picks back up, unless it's a really sweet job..

Understandably so.. I wouldn't pull a refer if my life depended on it. Too tight of a schedule for me.

Con-Way is hiring here, however, I don't have my doubles endorsement, and I let my hazmat run out.

4. kc8vje

kc8vje Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2007
    East Point, KY 41216

If nothing comes up before long, I might come a callin' I'd rather have something local, and move to a better area (economically) than go OTR and lose the best years of waching my kids grow up.

5. MADDOGPI

MADDOGPI Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2007
    TopFlights,

I am in my last week of the C1 Truck Driver Training School in St. Louis and I have no prior commercial driving experience.

I am supposed to drive for Star Transport but I am hoping to find a local job where I can be home most nights.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could throw me some local job leads. I live in Troy, Illinois so a job in Alton would work out great.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jake McCade

6. BJW

BJW Bobtail Member

May 19, 2007
    Springfield, IL
    Discovered this website and this post made me want to join up!I started grain hauling last fall so I could go back to local trucking after a couple of years of drybox/reefer trucking.Sounds like a sweet deal you got, no overtime pay for me and the hours have gotten a little short lately.I'm working for a company in Waverly, Il, just up the road from Alton.Feel free to shoot me a pm if you don't mind if you're company is hiring.Thanks and be safe.BJW

7. oldthendirt

oldthendirt Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2007
    USA
    I have been over the road for 3 yrs that job home at night sure sounds good where do I sign up
    I am serious if anyone could guide me I live in Mo

8. oldthendirt

oldthendirt Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2007
    USA
    Stay away from Troy Mo if you ever want to be home

9. TopFlights

TopFlights Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Alton Illinois
    Yeah man ive hauled almost everything to waverly, there the only elevator open on labor day lol.Beelman is doing alot of hiring , hauling gluten mainly to ADM in decatur, Curry is also hiring good companys to work for very good benifits.Well harvest has kicked off earlier than most,My pay period started friday and its sunday and iam already at 48 hours with four days to go paying me $21.60 an hour because of the overtime.

Here is a great link to a grain hauling website. http://www.roadstaronline.com/2000/10/098a0010.asp

I love doing what i do , and the people i meet while doing what i love is always a pleasant experiance too.Starting out the pay isn't all that"BUT"if you stay with it , the pay goes up and up and the hours are unbelievable.
    There just is no competition when it comes local Vs Otr, Local wins hands down, especially local grain hauling. I wish all you the beat of luck at landing a local job and getting the time home you deserve with pay that is fair compared to the OTR hours spent for nothing.

TopFlights~

AT A GLANCE

' Home time ranges from every night to every other weekend
    ' Pay is typically by percentage
    ' Lightweight-spec trucks are vital; pay is by the bushel or ton
    ' Farm background preferred
    ' Waits are not uncommon, but not as bad as reefer and some dry van freight
    ' Low turnover
    ' Companies are typically on the smaller side
    ' Loading/unloading can be dusty, and hard work if the commodity sticks
    ' Work is more in rural areas rather than big cities

10. TruckingWife

TruckingWife Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Alton, IL
    Hi,

What company do you work for? My husband is looking for a switch.

11. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO
    Grain hauling is what my son and I are getting into. I love the thought of being home when I need to be:)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.