Greasing question.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by inkscale, May 21, 2016.

1. inkscale

inkscale Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Since there are no stupid questions.

I am about become an owner and I want to make sure I am on top of my maintenance. So what I expect from this thread is to get sufficient information, hopefully, in form of a checklist for greasing my truck on weekly/monthly basis.

Let's say from the front of the truck, right side of the engine compartment where do you put the grease? Like exactly, part by part, as you go through the process? Can you list it in detail please? How often do you do it?
    Do you just use one type of grease or is it different type of grease for different parts?

Thank you for your support.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Anything on my truck and trailer that has a grease fitting gets greased every 10k

inkscale and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    These information is available in the manual for your truck if you don't have one you can look up the diagram on line that's specific to your truck.
    I grease every 7k in during winter months I'll let It go to 10k rest of the year

Audiomaker, inkscale and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Driver side. Kingpin top and bottom. Pitman arm front and back. The tie rod end. Slack adjuster and s cam.

I get the clutch linkage from that side too, and steering shaft.

Move to passengers side. Repeat process.

Go to the rear and get each of the brakes - 4 s cams and slack adjusters. Take wrench under and check diff oil levels. Hit both drive shafts front and back, wriggling forward to gear box. There's a shaft on the side of the gear box to get too. There's a hose that hangs down for the thrust bearing, but only a pump or two for that, every second time.

Fifth wheel has a zerk on each side. And then the 5th wheel plate.

Oh - not too much in the s - cams.

Every 7000 miles, I use Schaeffers high pressure grease. And a De Walt cordless gun.

Apologies if I mis-named anything, I'm a new owner too.

Ask your mechanic if there's any others specific to your truck. My AG 200 suspension had some zerks in it.

I'd never done it before - asking questions helps.

Good luck, others feel free to correct me.

Audiomaker, inkscale, Big_D409 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    You'll find grease zerks on the spring shackles, both ends. And the kingpins, top and bottom, all the tie rod ends, drag link, pitman arm, any steering part that pivots. Slack adjusters and s-cams. Steering shaft will have some ujoints that need grease. Sometimes you'll find one on the clutch linkage near the firewall. There will be one in the clutch inspection cover..go easy! Too much here will just make a greasy mess of the clutch.Then all the u-joints. More slack adjusters and s-cams on rear axles.

Basically you need to look for any parts that look like they are designed to move or pivot and see how they are lubricated.. Look for the grease zerks. Think about how much each part needs to move in the course of its normal use. The u-joint on the steering shaft won't need anywhere near as much grease as the ones on the driveshaft. And don't over do it. Grease hanging off everything just gets slung all over your undercarraige and attracts dirt. Clean the zerk with a rag before and after greasing. Don't forget the fifth wheel

I do my truck every 5000 miles. Grease is cheaper than parts and breakdowns. Use a good quality grease rated NLGI 2 EP.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Pretty much everything that was stated above. I usually grease the steering linkages until I see the rubber boots begin to expand. I try to ensure that I see grease beginning to flow (key word: beginning, not gushing out) from all 4 crosses on each u-joint. That way you know for sure each end is getting lubrication. Always wipe off the grease fitting before putting the hose on, prevents you from pumping dirt directly into the part. Also a good time to inspect your truck for cracks, loose/worn parts, leaks, etc. Thorough grease job and inspection on a tractor should take about an hour.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    inkscale, blairandgretchen and sawmill Thank this.
  8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Also a good time to grab the driveline and see if there is any play in the u-joints or yokes.

Another thing is not to grease so much that you are pushing it out of the rubber boots, as you have now just compromised the seals.

inkscale and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Some trucks (the T660 being one of them) have grease zerks on the hood hinges
    There's the u-joints in the steering column (these are sealed on some trucks). There may be one on the shaft from the power steering pump to the Pitman arm. There should be zerks at both ends of the drag link. There's the upper and lower kingpins and the tie rods. Your transmission may have either one or three zerk fittings. If you have a linkage clutch, you might have some on that. You might have them on them on the spring pins. U-joints on the driveshafts might have them, or they might be sealed. The s-cam housing will have a zerk, as will each of your slack adjusters.
    I'm partial to grease with an EP2 rating. On the road, a cordless would probably be the way to go... I use a DeWalt 20v which I found for $160 on Amazon (tool only - I already have six of those batteries). If you can, I'd put the steer axle on jack stands before greasing those components. Also check your kingpins for play and wheel bearings while it's up there... I use a 54" prybar for this task. Keep extra zerks handy, as well as the wrenches to change them (most will require a 7/16"). Don't do crack.

inkscale, sawmill and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    There are a lot of grease fittings on a truck. Mostly you will just need to look for them. On the front end you should have fittings on the steering, kingpins, tie rods and drag link, hood, and then work your way down the drive line which includes the throw out bearing, u-joints and then to anything else that has a fitting in between. Don't forget the fifth wheel. There should be fittings on each side and you should also put grease on the plate. You can never use too much grease. I have known some who grease half way between their pm. Some every couple of weeks, one guy I remember used to grease his truck every week when he got home. Bearings dry out and rain or snow can wash out grease, so it is important to keep grease in those fittings.

inkscale, sawmill and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    When greasing your kingpins, put a few squirts in with the full weight on the wheel, jack it up a few thousand pounds and put a few more squirts then jack the weight completely off the ground and put in a few more squirts again.

inkscale Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.