Great save!

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Dna Mach, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Huh? Why would the trucker assume that the 4 wheeler was going to take that exit? A reasonable person would think the 4 wheeler was passing the truck and taking the middle lane after the pass. A reasonable person would think that if the 4 wheeler wanted to take that exit, said 4 wheeler would have made the lane change behind the truck and exited without incident.

Fine driving on the part of both truckers, for #### sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The 4 wheeler had their signal on, which apparently, they think, gives them the right to go where ever they please. I'm not taking the 4 wheelers side, but my point, is without a dash cam, the truck driver would have gotten the ticket, had there been contact. We have to remember, 4 wheelers don't think of what they just passed, but more, "HERE'S THE EXIT, QUICK" never thinking a big rig is behind them ( or their stopping ability) It's our job to look out for them. And I'm sorry, but driving in the right lane, where exits and entrance ramps are, is the kiss of death.

rank and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Have to agree with you here, I deal with it each day as a city driver, but my point still stands.

201 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some of us have dealt with the crossing over so much and did a few saves in our time, to consider ALL cars ready to zip across that stupid highway to the exit.

Yes it was a moment of no action and frankly it all worked out with that Camera there and both drivers. There is really no way for the second driver to know what is going on exactly but he went with rule number two, do not hit another truck. Both of you will close the highway in a junk pile and fire. Trucks don't do well when nudged or hit by another. Especially when they are already sliding and are working on the problem.

I guess Im one of those bent crazies who isnt happy unless there is a angle to everything and sliding going on. Usually in winter. Should have been a heavy stunt man.

That pavement looked dry, wear the tires a little I imagine. But it's the best. Other times you want a little ice and some room to properly not flip over or wreck. A bit of rain would be outstanding. Distances to stop is immaterial unless it's ice.

Finally I leave you with this thought. Stupid people will get into a wreck someday zipping across four lanes to grab exit real quick. If I were you, I come out west or south to get away from them. Leave the east coast to the stupid people. They can have it all.

And you have car drivers wondering why we hate dealing with them so much. If they were not constantly this stupid, there would not be a problem.

I also say this. Both rigs were nice old rigs looks like. Newer rigs might not do well being abused like this. No wonder we lose so many "Swifts"

6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Hit the car hold YOUR lane is my thoughts on the matter after all by the time you impact them odds are you just spin them out.. my guess is someone had brakes out of adjustment or turned the wheel into other semi

rank Thanks this.
  7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Had the chip trailer been loaded and rolled over it would have been an ungodly mess with a good chance of someone dying. The dash cam would have been the only proof of who caused what. I would like to think I would not have swerved because when I started driving I pulled smooth bore hazmat tankers. It was drilled into us to stay straight and swerve for nothing and hope for the best. The dog, cat, deer or whatever you swerved to avoid could easily end up costing lives. I have no doubt that seeing a child or person in our path of travel would have put the (don't swerve) to the test. I would rather take out an idiot (the black car driver) as to risk hurting a totally innocent person such as the driver who took the median to avoid a collision. I firmly believe in Darwin and survival of the fittest.

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The wheel turning is both a blessing and a curse. When you turn the wheel fast your tractor and trailer is going to misbehave. You usually can get it back if you are faster with that wheel. Sometimes you cannot get back. I usually do.

As far as swerving, hazmat tanker has it right. Take the hit and hope for the best. To do anything would have been horrible. Ive killed large dogs, deer etc on purpose because of cars on both sides of me. So... take the animal out. Clean and wash the gore off as soon as practical. Don't worry all those cars will usually clear away from you when your wheels spray blood all over them red instead of water in the storm.

Now the brakes. If the stroke lengths are far away on some of them or at least one, that will be where it shows up fast. If you are alert and have anticipating that, the rig will misbehave and you will work the steering wheel to get it back. Remember getting off the brakes instantly applies the tires back to whatever traction they can get and roll. It's actually a choice.

When one truck like that mr red has to deal with the problem, everyone around it is going to be in the way. Misterwoodchip did very well and got it back onto the pavement for sure. If he was loaded it will have closed the I-295 near richmond VA for a while. I don't know about the killing, Woodchip is soft. Rock is not. You can actually kill people inside cars when they get buried in a spilled rock load. Not hard at all. Mash.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    My 1st post....

Anyways...this idiot's move makes perfect sense that its on rte10, on 295 in RVA...lol

There's an Amazon Fulfilment Center around the corner, after that exit...which is full of amazon mindless minions

When I was training to get my CDL (still fresh, thank you!), a driver rushing to work at the AFC squeezed themselves over the right sidewalk, as I was turning right...only to end up with a flat tire half-a-mile away at the entrance of the facility...lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Ace save by Captain Yellow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.