GunMetal345's Tanker Lease Experience

Discussion in 'Prime' started by GunMetal345, Jun 30, 2013.

1. GunMetal345

GunMetal345 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Warning: This is an informative thread about my lease experience. My goal is to make as much money as possible doing the least amount of work. I will tell you what I'm going to do to make that happen and why I choose to do it that way. At the end of the day you have to make your own decisions and hopefully this thread will help you with that. If you are responsible, dedicated and disciplined then a lease my be for you. If you want some one else to take care of the details for you go company. Do what's right for you, please.

Welcome Everybody!

I've been assigned a truck. It's a light weight Cascadia about 4 months old. I'm the only one that wanted it so they just assigned it to me.

Tomorrow I have to do my inspection so I can get ready to sign my paper work and grab my things from driver lineup. I will be ordering a fridge and a box to put chains in. The best way to describe it is a day cab with no back window and a bed. I plan to keep it until the end of the lease because it gets the best fuel mileage. I don't know how I will feel about it six months from now though but for now the plan is to finish out the lease.

Business Goals:

1. Drive safe and legal.
    2. Pick up and deliver on time every time.
    3. Drive at 53-55 mph. (~1100 rpms)
    4. Less than 1% idle percentage.
    5. Stay out 6 to 8 weeks at a time.

That's about it on how I plan to maximize my earnings and minimize my expenses. I took the light weight because I believe I can get 9 mpg out of it and that is a low estimate. Being able to fill in on the Decatur dedicated is also part of my plan. They pay a premium to haul those heavy loads and you can only do it in a light weight truck. I will take every dispatch unless it's unsafe or illegal for me to do so and in that case I will try and work out what I can do with that assignment. I plan to give the best customer service reasonably possible. That's clean, kind and helpful. I want every customer to be happy to see me and willing to invite me back.

Financial Plans:

1. Build an operating fund of at least $5000.
    2. Pay off all consumer debts in my household. (Wife's and mine)
    3. Continue to build the operating fund to $50000.
    4. Invest access funds.
    5. Build credit for myself and my LLC.

My operating fund is low now so that is my first priority because I need to make sure I stay in business. I'm paying off the debt because I will finally have the means to pay it off. I'm in my 30's now and I've have good credit but I want excellent credit. The $50k is so I can finance other trucks at Prime and not go broke if something goes wrong with one of them. That's what I want in the savings account before I get that second truck. I plan on working for 10 years as a driver and I'll see from there. At that 10 year mark I will have it set up to where I can live off my investments if I want to.

I'm not buying this truck but I will be purchasing the next truck at the end of this lease. Probably with cash if things go the way I plan. That will be my insurance to make sure I never have to go through another training program in trucking again.

That's it guys and gals. That's the plan and I'll be posting the execution on at least a weekly basis. I drive to make money and plan to make a killing by being efficient. I really believe that truck can get 10 mpg and will be striving for that number every week. I keep the tanks topped off because I believe it saves time and I'm looking at fuel purchases with a long term view as in fuel purchased throughout the month or over a year. I will be using Macro 27 because it saves time and money. I actually do pretrips and post trips because I'm paranoid and business minded. I like to get things fixed as they need repair and the operating fund is what makes it possible for me to do that.

I'm really excited because I feel I can do better than everyone else I've seen here in Tanker Division.

Until next time be mature and responsible,

GunMetal345 out!

P.S. I'm not giving out my name or truck number because this is the interwebs. If you apply at Prime give them GunMetal345. My handle is in the system here. My truck is blue and it's a lightweight. That's all you get. Thank you for reading my thread!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joe Leaphorn

Joe Leaphorn Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Will be following your thread. Thanks for sharing.

GunMetal345 Thanks this.
  4. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Looking forward to it good luck.

GunMetal345 Thanks this.
  5. Wanderingaimlessly

Wanderingaimlessly Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Wishing you luck. I have been following your other posts and am excited to see what Prime has in store for you. I am hoping to get on the tanker side and lease as well. On another note regarding chains. Having a box is nice, but what a pain it is to pull those chains out of there when they are all rusted together. My next truck I am getting the bar to hang them on.

GunMetal345 Thanks this.
  6. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Is your truck equipped with an apu on it??? In regards to your mpg, I believe 10 mpg is attainable but not with a heavy load. If you do achieve it with a heavy load, then more power to you. I've followed you for a while, and your posts are interesting. I truly believe based on who you are you will achieve your goals. Good luck and I look forward to reading your posts.

GunMetal345 Thanks this.
  7. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    Looking forward to reading your adventure. Good luck!

GunMetal345 Thanks this.
  8. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Glad to see that you got your ducks in a row and hope that you have the best of luck.

GunMetal345 Thanks this.
  9. GunMetal345

GunMetal345 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    All set to go guys. No box because there is no place to mount it. Had to lose my passenger seat to get a fridge. Chains will have to wait and will probably be under the bunk where my stuff should be, lol. Waiting in the hotel for my first dispatch.

Thank you for all the support!

10. Joe Leaphorn

Joe Leaphorn Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2009
    no upper bunk in this truck? I was in a Kenworth T-660 which is small, but I had an upper bunk which I used as storage.

11. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    What's the truck payment for a lightweight?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.