Gurnee, il truck rear end traffic

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by w.h.o, Sep 21, 2016.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Yeah I noticed that after I made the post. Still, I am sure the police will look at his phone to see how active it was prior to.

Sharps5090 and ethos Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    yeah, they better check his vlog

4. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    17 year old on prom night, buddy.
    Bam!

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    You don't know until the investigation is done. They will be taking statements and collecting physical evidence, (cell phone, text, dash cam, if one is installed, and taking a very long and hard look at the truck itself.
    This video is pretty daming, but it is not taking anything else into consideration. One thing for sure, when the civil suits follow, this will play very well to the jury...
    There's a number of charges that could be filed here should there be no extenuating circumstance. I'm thinking the old standby, following too closely, which is pretty much a given, since he rear ended stopped traffic, careless driving, or possibly inattentive driving, depending on how state law is worded there. If proven that he was texting or on his cellphone that could be a charge, again depending on state law.
    I'm sure the DA there can think of a few more...

Sharps5090 Thanks this.
  6. Sharps5090

Sharps5090 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Northern Illinois
    Using my trusty stopwatch and trying to count, it looks like it covered 10 lane mark series in about 5.6 seconds (400ft / 5.6) That's about 71 feet per second, about 48 mph. If my old eyes are working right. If my counting and calculations are correct, the driver wasn't flat out flying, which is a good thing for him/her.

He's looking, in IL, based just on the video, at a charge of Speeding - Failure to Reduce Speed to Avoid a Collision (625ILCS 5/11-601(a). (on a side note, if you ever get a ticket for this charge in IL, if the speed is not listed in the boxes - alleged speed and allowed speed - on the ticket, it's facially invalid. Don't point it out to the nice officer, have your attorney do it through a motion to the judge. And subpoena the last 50 or so fail to reduce speed tickets they've written in the past. You may be able to show it wasn't a "scrivener's error" but sloppy police work.)

If they can show distractions in cab (phone, text, video, changing the selection on his MP3, grabbing his lunch bag, whatever) then Reckless Driving could come into play 625ILCS 11-503(a)1 - willful or wanton disregard for the safety of others.

Hopefully the one critical will recover fully, and none will have lasting effects. This is a brutal impact for all of the 4-wheeler occupants. In either event, the men in the unusual shaped hats up there in District 2 / 15 are going to have a bone on for local drivers for a while now..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Reason for edit: FormaTTING
    mjd4277, double yellow and Big Don Thank this.
  7. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ
    How about "assault with a deadly weapon"? That's what I would charge him with among every other charge previous drivers have mentioned. INEXCUSABLE!

8. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Was the driver's name Yuri or Vladimir?

9. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
  10. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    The audio tells the attitude of 98% of today's motorist. Instead of stopping to try to help you can hear someone say

"Go Go! #### 'Em!"

tucker and Sharps5090 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That's a day cab in the early morning. At the last legs of his shift no doubt. I put my money on a VERY tired driver.

This is one reason I think I will never run a local LTL or truckload job. Even when you go "off duty" you still need to drive home to sleep too little and get up too early to do it all over again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.