GVWR Question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ds1989, May 26, 2015.

1. ds1989

ds1989 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Not sure if this is the right forum thread, but I'm trying to learn the how to determine the maximum payload that can be hauled using a 1993 White-GMC single axle tractor with a 48' flatbed trailer.
    I know it seems odd to ask such a question, but I bought this truck and discovered the sticker on the inside of the driver door is completely illegible.
    I own and operate a small local flatbed company operating within 100 air-miles of KCMO and I'm trying to decide what the maximum load capacity would be with a single axle tractor and 48' closed and spread axle flatbeds.
    I've "googled" the matter but came up with varying information. I encountered a driver who drives for the company that previously owned the truck and asked that driver as he was in a similar configuration (single axle tractor and 53' dry van) as to what his maximum capacity was and he indicated the trucks are licensed for 80,000 lbs and he pulls full truckload weight daily?

So, if I can use the truck in my operation, I would love to do so, if not then I need to sell it and purchase a twin screw (which is what I use in the rest of the fleet) this was just a "too good of a deal to pass up" purchase.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Doug 00000_7N5ewfYaF9A_600x450.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    We run 20 on the single screw 34 on the standard tandem flats, and 12,5 on the steers. I can legaly put 38 grand or so if i can balance it right, normaly keep it under 34,000 load weight. Great dane alum. Deck

ds1989 Thanks this.
  4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    If you run spread you can dump 40 on the back, but that single might get heavy before you max the spread

Edit "dump is the wrong word. Get up to 40 is better. :)

5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    To correctly answer your question we would have to know what your truck AND trailer weigh, AND trailer configuration, (since you ask for max. PAYLOAD)

But the answers you received are correct, you will always be around 12,000 max on the front, always around 20,000 max on the rear (some states allow up to 22,600 on S/A rear) so that leaves your trailer configuration, standard tandems 34,000, 10'1" spread 40,000.

Figure your max, weigh your empty truck and trailer, you will have your max Payload.

6. osokusmc

osokusmc Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2011
    SD
    Double check your inner and outer bridge, just for fun. I've seen configurations that run out of bridge before they run out of axle set weight, or gross.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.