Handing over your log book when off duty

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Back in the day when I ran US17 across the Southern Tier, you could almost use the bears for an alarm clock.

truckon, KANSAS TRANSIT and Mr.X Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Sounds like Tennessee, before they would open the Coops they would swing by the rest areas and nail all the trucks parked on the on ramps. If they went there at night then I could understand from a safety standpoint, but they showed up in broad daylight! Another reason I have always run
    at night.

4. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Correct! If it is a true AOBRD (tied into to the ECM) it is truly paperless. (other than the required blank log sheets just in case the AOBR craps out)

All other electronic HOS devices (laptops, tablets, Big Road apps, etc.) MUST have the ability to print.

icsheeple Thanks this.
  5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Thx for clearing that up, as it seems that NM dps is unaware and chastied my driver over not being able to print, after a level one he wrote him up for lic. plate needing to be moved up two inches, but put nothing on the report about the logs, we called xrs and they said the same as you.

Thx again,

not4hire and mp4694330 Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    In case anyone is wondering why so many drivers have little to no respect for enforcement officers.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Last summer I was working a weekend running a dump truck. They were short drivers and this had to be a 24 hour operation. We were replacing a bridge, actually 3 of them over 3 weekends. Well we were constantly having people drive around the barricades and up to the bridge.

Well it comes time for the last bridge and I just dumped the load to fill in the approach to the bridge and down the road comes a CRE truck. I stopped him and asked if he could read English. 16 miles back there was one of those electronic billboards stating that the road was closed at MM 17. About 3 miles back there was a barricade stating that the road was closed with enough room so that we could get around to haul off the dirt that was removed. Then 2 miles back there was another barricade. Well he drove around all those and almost made it to the bridge or lack of. I told him he would have to back up and turn around where we had the fill staged. That was a good mile back through the canyon. It took him almost 2 hours. What a PITA he was. Told me he did not see any signs... LOL

I am sure some of you know the road, it is deep creek canyon between Townsend and White Sulphur Springs Montana.

truckon Thanks this.
  8. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Im not sure you would have to go on futy or driving to move one spot over. ....come on were all on the same team. I am not even opening the curtian regardless...pound away.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  9. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry officer, my log book is in my sleeper. Im not driving, not on duty, not doing any safety sensitive work so you'll have to do your investigation without my help *slams door closed and locks it**... Good luck convincing a judge that I was a danger to the officer and he had a right to break my window to arrest me with no warrant.

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  10. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    if im not in the truck when he asks, then i would ignore him and tell him to lock me up and we can deal with it in court. im a trucker not a 24/7 slave. dont bother me when im not driving PERIOD especially if you are the law man.

Wild Murphy and Guntoter Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.