Has anybody bought a glider from St Catherines Freightliner?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Elroythekid, Apr 18, 2015.

1. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I drove a '13 t660 for about 120k miles until I got put on a '16 evolution.

I'm not a mechanic so I don't know anything about engines but in terms of working and living in it, I'd say this cascadia is more roomy than the aero cab in the kenny.

With that said, this engine seems much stronger to me. Rpms don't fall down instantly like on the MX engine I had. This engine holds rpms well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Well my old FL just keeps ticking along, just crossed 2.2 million km. I am not winning any beauty contests and I am one of the last ones to the top of the hill but you know what, at the end of the day that truck is as reliable as the day is long. I could go out today and buy a bran new 389 or w9 but it will end up costing me way more than it costs me now in maintenance. I can sacrafice the truck that looks cool and rides much nicer than my FL, in exchange for more dollars in my pocket / more time off. Some piece of junk, I guess.

4. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    What year / model / engine ?

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    2000 fl classic xl
    99 detroit 12.7 s60 ddec4
    18 double over
    3.90 rear ends
    24.5 tall rubber

6. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I spoke with the Stoney Creek Freightliner about a glider. Like most of them, they were not too keen about selling me one. I was told that they are only 5% cheaper than a new truck (Say about $7000 on a 150k price). I was also given the schpeel about the improvements with the new engines.

I was also told that they would not put a pre-2008 engine in a Cascadia. When I mentioned that there were a lot of American one's on truckpaper, I was told "Good luck getting them into Canada."

I'd be hesitant to get a glider (or any truck, for that matter) without a good support network.

7. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Lots of new GLIDERS in that area ZAVCOR just added more FREIGHTLINER Columbia gliders recently on top of the pile of Western Star Gliders they added over the past 2 years

8. spirituallity58

spirituallity58 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    I heard that there was some with transport canada and them not letting gliders on our highways saw info on here not sure which dicussuon , makes me wonder why the dealer wont do the glider, i guess its an in teresting subject

9. spirituallity58

Oct 11, 2015
    Background

Transport Canada has determined that vehicles classed as “trucks” and manufactured from “glider kits” that are less than fifteen years old are inadmissible for importation into Canada due to the lack of certification that demonstrates these vehicles comply with all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) or Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) requirements.

For vehicles manufactured from glider kits in Canada, Transport Canada’s position mirrors the US Code of Federal Regulations Title 49 - PART 571.7 (e).

Transport Canada has stated the following criteria must be met for a vehicle to be considered a glider kit:

• all three major drivetrain components must be used (i.e

10. spirituallity58

Oct 11, 2015
    Ops sorry cut and paste , didnt get it all but get the idea

11. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    They'll build you a glider - but the salesman didn't sound too happy about it. The big difference is that some US Freightliner dealers will put a pre-2008 engine in a Cascadia; these guys will not.

And yes, as I understand it, in Canada you need a complete donor truck, not a collection of refurbished parts from various donors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.