hauling onions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by worldofwarcraftaddict, Sep 5, 2012.

1. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I've seen quite a few guys with sidekits hauling them, but they take out a couple panels. Seems like not a bad load for a covered wagon that looses its way to the left coast.... I wouldn't haul them on an open trailer myself because I'd be too worried about loosing a bag.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wideload

wideload Heavy Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    as an ex reefer hauler i will tell you that grocers hate to see flatbeds come.in and i have seen many loads rejected in full that probably wouldnt be if they were in a reefer.

4. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    i LOVE seeing people hauling them. Like to see 'em hauling that cheap ### copper as well. means another place opening up in the truck stop at night soon after they go out of business

5. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have not hauled the copper yet, but a place we do get them from in AZ pays $3 mile to Amarillo, so once u figure in the DH to the next load, it's more like $2 mile. And I can find better stuff to do for $2 mile than go into some nasty copper mine.

6. the gambler

the gambler Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Kentucky
    We used to do them in a covered wagon would roll the tarp back a few feet on the front and leave it open on the back.

SHC Thanks this.
  7. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    That is kind of what I was thinking would be the best way, but I'd also been told you can't let the tops of the bags get wet??? IDK why it would matter since your only covering 3'-4' of the stacks anyways???

8. withit

withit Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2010
    SW MI
    I just got done with a load of onions in bins went from sterling, ny to glennville, ga. had the load fully tarped an no problems

MJ1657 and SHC Thank this.
  9. The Bird

The Bird Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    White Rock, NM
    Been seeing alot of these loads on I-80 and 84. Never hauled them and don't want to. I've seen too many bags laying on the shoulder. :(

Most loads have a full tarp but leave the flaps open on the front and back.

10. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I seen a few drive by on I90 this week

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i just lay tarps on top. and strap em down.

never had a problem so far. never lost a bag.

only had one load so far that was lousy. most are usually tiightly wrapped on pallets.

but yeah. the pay has defenitly gotten BAD. used to pay by the weight. average was 2 a mile. now it's by the bag and average is 1.50 a mile. less if you get the BIG onions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.