Hauling something I own but intend to sell??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by malync2, May 3, 2015.

1. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Spend a dime instead.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Truthfully, yes, it is personal property until you make a business out of it. If you pre-sell them, then there is an issue if you get caught but otherwise no problem. It is just like I buying 4X4s here and taking them to Alaska to use but happen to sell them because of ... fill in the blank ...

I know a couple who make a trip three times a year to see their daughter in Alaska, I don't think they go through Canada but that doesn't matter. They buy produce in either in Florida or California (depending on the time of year), stick it on the bed of their toter and bring it up to some city south of Anchorage where their daughter uses some and then sells the surplus. They are not transporting it for hire but for their daughter to consume it. They have no control over what she does with the surplus and no one seems to care.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    But if its your intent to sell it, it becomes commerce for profit.

In short, personally, I believe... to be legal... you need all your DOT paperwork.

In general, its the case with all commerce. A company buys products.. they own it but haven't sold it yet. They need to get it to their facility, stock/store it, mark it up for profit & sell it at a later date.
    You buy boat trailers... you own them but haven't sold them yet. You bring them home, stock/store them, mark them up for profit & sell them at a later date. Whether you consider it personal or business, its the same thing. One is a legal business, the other is an illegal business.

In order to transport goods for profit, you need to have a business licence &/or all your DOT paperwork. You profit when you apply your mark up to cover costs & sell them. In reality, even if you loose money on the deal, you're still buying for re-sell. Business go out of business all the time who don't apply enough markup, etc... they are still a business.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I disagree, I buy an old car in Arizona, I fix that car up, I store that car for say three months and then sell it, it isn't a business, it still is a hobby. If I do this every month, it still can be considered a hobby depending on what amount of money I make or not make.

If I cover my expenses and do this for a small profit, it can be construed by the IRS as a hobby, even if I make a good profit without regularity, it can also considered a hobby.

Transportation of the car in this case isn't transporting for profit, it is transporting personal property. Even if I have a three car trailer, it is still personal property.

6. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Yeah, that'll go over real well at the Canadian border.

7. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Unless you can show residence in Alaska, Canada is going to make you pay import tax on those trailers. People try and get away with this 100 times a day pretending to go to Alaska but are selling something to someone in Canada. You will look guilty as Hell hauling brand new trailers.

8. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Register as a not for hire carrier, still need DOT Number, and follow rules for carriers, Make SURE your insurance agent knows what you are doing and make sure insurance is good in Canada. If the boats are loaded on one trailer, ok, but if they are pulled as a double trailer, there is a minumun weight needed to cross one Canadian Province, North West Territories, I think. Make sure the boats are properly markede with ID Plates and have the paperwork with to prove you own them.

9. crab

crab Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    southern, illinois

ok say you do all that...your cool you paid the price...you got the paper work...you even keep yours logs up to date. then you have a wreck go to the hospital and the law finds out you are on insulin and don't have a med card and you just injured someone. don't worry all your meds and meals will be free from the state for a while

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.