Have YOU been cited for a CARB violation?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Guntoter, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    We all hear everyday about the blue trucks and the cameras on a wire going in your exhaust. But I have not yet met anyone who actually had it done to them, or have a ticket to prove it. As of now I would bet that about 30% of the trucks on the road in CA are non-complient, with that many easy tickets out there it seems like someone would have a real story. Im not interested in the guy who knows a guy who got a warning. Have YOU been cited?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I got the $300 one for idling the truck for 7 minutes (he timed me), while I brewed a pot of coffee.
    Same ticket the idiot was writing for trucks that idled all night.
    I am still legal there for this year, so hopefully wont be messing with the CARB Nazi's this year anyways.
    Martin

areelius and Logan76 Thank this.
  4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Next time we trans-load from a non compliant TRU i'll have the driver try to get a copy of the citation.

5. thedrifter

thedrifter Medium Load Member

May 23, 2010
    portland or.
    A few years ago, ok more like 18 when I lived and owned a truck in commfornia any time I got pulled in for a dot they either gave the truck a snap idle or put the probe in the stack. Never a ticket but it happened about every 4 months

6. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    My suspicions have been confirmed. Not one person on this forum can say that he has been cited for a non compliant truck. With thousands of trucks on California roads at this very moment, NOT ONE has been cited. They will tell you you need to be compliant but CHP will tell you they do not have authority to cite, shut down, or tow a truck...

What should I do? I live in AZ and go to CA every week. It takes three months to set up a new truck to do what I do. Should I be the first O/O in the mobile home moving business to buy a new truck and then find out that everyone else can still drive their paid for trucks while I have a $3000 payment?

I called CARB and asked that question and the guy said "they are taking a chance". Three times I asked "how many citations have you guys actually issued"? HE NEVER ANSWERED ME!!!!

Airborne and knuckledragger Thank this.
  7. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    As badly as the state of California needs the revenue it's hard to believe that they won't seize on this opportunity but maybe they'll wait until the end of the year when there will be many more "non compliant" trucks to cite.
    Most guys running out here now have registered for the one year extension so other than idling citations maybe the man hour vs revenue formula doesn't make it worth their while yet. Sad huh?

8. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I thought about that too. They may wait till people like me are lulled into thinking it wont happen. Selective enforcement, once again causes turmoil in business. Sort of like our tax system.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's the same as new gun registration laws in New York state really what is needed is massive peaceable non-compliance to nullify ridiculous laws. That is happening in NY. Trucking industry just bowls over,actually big megas are complicit in onerous regs getting implemented so it eliminates competition It's really don't comply at your own risk.

Boardhauler and Cetane+ Thank this.
  10. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    I got a warning ticket for not having my Air Resource Number on my refer. It was registered, but no number on it. My friend got a $1000 fine for not having a compliant refer. He's was in Stockton getting a new engine put in it yesterday. So the answer is yes, you can be fined. I read in Landline now that a company in LA was handed a $300,000 fine for running old refers. They were warned a few times but did not do anything.

CARB sets up check points once or twice a year, but with the big truck deadline at the end of the year, I bet 2014. We will see alot more check points.

All the produce shippers I load at now are starting to ask for your ARB number for your refer before they load you, I only know of one that will not load you if you do not have a ARB number.

The buyer I run for sent me and all the trucks that pull for them a letter Last week asking for your ARB number and said if you are not CARB compliant, all fines will be forward to you up to not being paid for the load.

California based shippers and buyers are being fined now if they load a none compliant truck, so take a chance if you want, but don't get mad if you caught and whoever you pull for does not pay you.

russellkanning Thanks this.
  11. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thats my problem. Do I comply when the other 50 trucks that I compete with are not? If I do commit to buying new (or a 2011) and my competition does not I look like an idiot with big payments and I cant compete with them. Or I buy new and they all get busted next January and Im the only guy hauling houses for 6 months (talk about good freight rates!).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.