Have YOU been cited for a CARB violation?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Guntoter, Jan 29, 2013.

1. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Guntoter,there have been several CA based firms getting big fines by CARB.
    A fellowmember on TTR spoke about this some weeks ago in another thread.
    But none were fined because off roadside inspections.
    And they had the their fines reduced after they made serious efforts to comply with CARB.
    From all that i have read about it,At this point enforcement is still a mess with it being a crapshoot whether you get fined or not.

Again from a post by another TTR member they are building a new scale near the CA border with CARB inspection bays provided.

DriverToBroker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL,,,, No, better than 50% of the trucks in California today are 10+ years old.

Huh?

Yes several CALIFORNIA BASED companies have been fined during their biennial audit. But again I ask "have YOU been cited by CARB for NO OTHER REASON THAN THE AGE/YEAR OF YOUR TRUCK"

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  4. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    My point is this...

CARB Cannot, will not, does not, issue citations on the road in California. So if you went out and bought a $150,000 truck because they scared you into thinking they could do anything, congratulations, you were lied to by the non-elected, tree huggers at CARB.
    Every CHP officer I ever talk to says the CARB enforcement team knows they have no power. If you ever do (and you won't) get cited, pay a lawyer a few hundred bucks and it will be gone. CARB does NOT want this to become common knowledge so they will NOT issue citations because they know it would be a matter of days before every truck owner in America learned the truth. They will continue their fear tactics as long as they work, soon enough every truck on the road will be new enough anyway (normal attrition) so they will ride this fear train as long as they can.

areelius and KenworthGuyNH Thank this.
  5. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I know of a guy that was cited by the CARB before July of this year, it was at scale house. Not only was he cited for not being in compliance but also for missing the engine ID plate and having an after market CAC.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Sounds like bogus tickets that would never hold up in court. Lots of people just roll over and pay fines. Aftermarket actually are the same outside suppliers who provide CAC's for brand new trucks. The truckmakers don't just punch them out of a widgit machine on the kenworth, volvo, etc, etc production line. Cops make up bogus stuff all the time. Especially from self important useless bureaucratic bloodsuckers like CARB.

BeN DaViS and Cetane+ Thank this.
  7. Getrdunn

Getrdunn Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Until you don't live in CA you don't realize how crazy laws are here. Anything is possible. One day CARB is updating their website, next day pulling you aside on I-5.

BeN DaViS Thanks this.
  8. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    CARB is not issuing fines on the side of the road because they are doing the same thing as they did with the Reefers. They are going to the shipper and issue fines to the trucking company and the shipper. They brought the industry into compliance with three enforcement officers working this. Try getting loaded with a non-compliant reefer in CA.

It is a little harder on tractors because the still have so many units that have been given exemptions and the way I read the laws they don't have a way of identifying the units other than to look them up.

9. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I have not been personally stopped and checked by CARB. When I had my other truck, my driver was stopped and inspected by CARB at the Cajon scales. My truck was legal so I did not have any issues. I also saw for the first time a couple weeks ago a blue CARB sticker on a truck. Looked similar to the numbered CVSA stickers they give you.

Freightlinerbob Thanks this.
  10. ZJXander

ZJXander Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jerome,ID
    California
    Arbitrary
    Requirement
    Board

Couldn't agree more!
    Stop running CA and you'll have no more
    problems with CARB.

I lived there for 7 years then moved to Idaho.
    I'll never go back to Commieformia again unless it's to visit in my POV.

11. jpeters72155

jpeters72155 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Hello, I'm reviving this thread to see if there are any updates. Our CA based co. is in the need of upgrading several trucks, 5-6 total but the immediate need is only for 2-3 right now due to permanent breakdowns. Of course the other giant problem is that it seems any truck made between 2008-2011/12 is a gamble because of the emissions issues. We don't have the funds or financing leverage to get all 2012/13 and newer trucks.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone, based in OR out of CA, has received fines for soot/PM filter/DPF non-compliance..?

Also, does anyone have additional info on what they can do if you actually get fined and you don't pay? I've talked to ARB and they say a max of $1,000/month so if you actually get that and are unlucky enough to get it a few times, that's a big chunk of change. I read the entire thread and supposedly they can't enforce their fines but I'm sure they'll gladly tack on more fees and interests if you don't pay and I'm wondering if they'll get real power to collect later??

Does anyone have updated info on the supposed new CARB scale or anything of that sort? Thank you!

And btw yes, we are reluctant to upgrade when not needed, we don't believe the rumors or scare tactics, we definitely will go by facts. Its unlawful what they are doing so will not abide until forced to. The CARB website barely shows anything about these type of fines. I've found just a couple at that was from from 2013...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.