Have you seen nice upgraded o/o trucks pulling dry van?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OOwannaBE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    In over five years I don't think I have ever seen a decked out truck pulling a dry van. The only trucks that are fully customized and shiny are the ones pulling flatbed, reefer, moving companies, or those hauling race cars. Which tells me that is where the money is, but I rather stick with dry van and hopefully earn a living.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Kind of a contradictory statement,.. no?

Truth is you can make money in any segment. Give up looking at being an O/O from a drivers perspective and look at it from a business owners standpoint. Its a lot easier said than done.

Develop the right mindset and you can do anything.

Hurst

tonycr, SoDel, redoctober83 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree with hurst, but the chances of success - meanings paying the bills and sustaining a business - is slim for many with the driver mentality.

I just bought a distress company, I've shed several trucks that didn't fit into my business plan and kept the ones that did. The guy over bought because he has a driver mentality and didn't understand how to actually sustain making money.

5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Yep, pulling FedEx wagons........

6. ChromeNut

ChromeNut Light Load Member

May 22, 2014
    Lockport, IL
    You can make a decent living with a dryvan, brining home 3000$-3500$ a week after all expenses. Leaving on Sunday, home by Friday. Learn the lanes! It's better to lease on to someone for a year, so you can learn what lanes pay at different times of the year, then go independent. IMO dryvan has the least of headaches.

7. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    The money is there, just have to find the right niche. I use to pull vans, only switched to the refrigerated side since we added more trucks. While I don't have that w9 or 379, I'd say my truck looked good pulling a dry van.

Wolfpack has some good looking w900's. They pull vans as well. Other times across PA I'll see some stretched out rides pulling 48 footers.

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  8. toledoT

toledoT Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Toledo Ohio
    Runnin 80 I see some decked out condos pulling dry van. Figure most are older couples, hitting the road together. I've seen pics of the inside of some of those, but I'd like to see one in person one day.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    That guy driving the fully customized and shiny truck
    Could be just as broke as the guy in the 25 year old
    Freightshaker.

I'm seeing more and more old beat up trucks
    On the road than I ever have.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Pre EGR trucks !!!

whoopNride Thanks this.
  11. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Can you explain what you mean by over bought? I just recently stopped driving and have 2 trucks. One mine, one leased to me(my dad owns it). I want to get to 3 owned trucks and I've been debating on weather I should buy another one now and then a 3rd one latter, or save up some more and try to buy two more at once. People seem to say that 3 is a good number to be at. Any thoughts on that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.