Haven't driven for a year and some change.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by MuscleBro, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    I understand your need to get back on the road and start making money again, but I ask you to consider this:

You know your skill level, you know what you can and can't do, where you need more help. 1) if you were a company, would you put you on the road (even with a trainer) without a refresher course? 2) would you really trust a company that would?

If you have some time, here are a couple tips. If you have a truck stop nearby, go spend a day there and observe. Watch the drivers back into different spaces. Notice the mechanics of each turn. See how they are steering the trailer, not the truck. If you have questions, ask them after they've finished.

Also, if you own a vehicle that can pull a trailer, go rent a uhaul and find an empty lot, set up a "dock area" with some cones and practice. True, a pick up and uhaul trailer is a much smaller scale than a big rig, but the dynamics are still the same.

Lastly, be prepared for a refresher course. If you've been out for over a year, most companies would probably require one. If they do put you strait out with a mentor/trainer PAY ATTENTION and listen to what he tells you. He is trying to help you.

x1Heavy and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    ya What he said

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. MuscleBro

MuscleBro Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2014
    If there is one thing I have full confidence in, it's that I'm safe and will take every measure to make sure nobody is hurt.

There in lies the areas where I feel that I'll be failed. Things like going too slow if I think I won't be able to downshift fast enough on a stretch of road, or not making a lane change I don't think I am 100% clear.

All in all, my failure will be because I hesitate.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Darracq

Darracq Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2011
    ks
    Get on youtube and watch a bunch of vids on how to set up when backing,

MuscleBro Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm.

Safe. You are the safest person I know. Awesome. No Im not trying to be sarcastic, here is why... You also know that if you hesitate when something comes up it's finished in a few moments.

I spoke of courage you show, now I speak of something you said most people don't understand. Fear. Leads to hesitation. It's all over at that point because someone locked up rather than force themself to make a decision in that moment and follow through.

I mention one more thing. This is absolutely a gift. Some decisions YOU WILL hopefully NEVER have to make are the kind which NO one, NO School, NO Trainer, NO book ever taught you about. You will be in a position of literally writing a sort of Bible how to solve a really bad problem that is fixing to kill someone right quick.

Ive had a few moments myself that I thought welp that's that. Nope not quite yet. Besides the smoke and shakes after...

Chinatown and MuscleBro Thank this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I think you're selling yourself WAAAY too short. If you passed before, it should be easier the second time around. Like everyone else mentioned, it's like riding a bike...you never forget.

Confidence and Positive attitude equals POSITIVE results. Fear and Negative attitude equals NEGATIVE results. Trust in yourself and your abilities and good things will come out of it.

Now that being said, the current job I have right now runs automatics. When some of our tractors were down for repairs, we rented a couple trucks from Ryder with manuals and LITERALLY within 5 minutes, everything came back to me. You NEVER forget. It came back to me and it WILL come back you. Just trust in yourself and your abilities and you'll be amazed at the results.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    MuscleBro, x1Heavy and pattyj Thank this.
  8. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I've gotten used to my auto, but you're right. I was put into a Ryder rental with a 10sp, and I was floating gears within 10-15 miles. Had a "you stupid idiot" moment when I couldn't start the truck, tho. Oh yeah, clutch pedal.... Durrrrr...

Which is weird because both of my personal vehicles are sticks. Nearly drove my pickup into a building after I returned the rental, just by putting it into reverse. All the way left and forward, right? Oops....

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Is that like saying, when they ask you what your weakest point is, "I'm a perfectionist"?

I learned early in life that you can be TOO cautious.
    I learned that from my father, by watching how he drove his car. Many others as well.

Like the person merging in and they are ahead of me, but going 2 MPH slower.
    I slow down a bit to give them room, but instead of speeding up just a bit they slow down to get behind me.
    They THINK they are just being cautious, but they are creating a hazard because they know nothing about correctly merging into traffic.

If you had 'full confidence' in your ability to be safe you would not be going too slow or too fast.
    You would have already assessed the situation and found the correct speed and distance.

x1Heavy and dodgeram440rt Thank this.
  10. 3523

3523 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    If you can't back you're not ready to drive solo. They pay during training, no?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Carolina Cargo has the best refresher; pull out of the yard with your trainer in Rock Hill,SC then do a California turnaround. If you and trainer make it back ok then you pass. No contract required. OJT refresher is better than sitting in a classroom.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.