Having no physical address?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KateL, Sep 24, 2012.

1. KateL

KateL Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Clovis, New Mexico
    The question is, if I am only going to be "at home" for a maximum of 6 to 8 days out of each month as a regional driver, and 2-3 days as a national OTR driver-- Why would I need to pay rent? I really don't see why I should pay for and maintain a residence, if I am not going to use it much.

Do some drivers often "not have a home?" meaning, can they be legally "homeless?"

I feel that it would be more interesting to be able to get a motel room or something, or go visit friends, then worry about getting home all the time.

I have a mailing address through a friend, but usually do any business on line.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? How's the life? What obstacles do you come up with?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    One obstacle would be you wouldn't be able to claim per diem for your days away from 'home'.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    What you describe is very common in this biz. You just need a place to receive your mail. You can claim Uncle Fred's house as a place you "rent" a room at to do the per diem thing.

5. libra112

libra112 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Conyers Ga
    That's exactly the same thing I was thinking. I figure it would just be better to give up my apt especially since I leave alone. We're talking $10,000 to $11,000 a yr that can be saved for another investment.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    There is more to the claiming per diem than just this. If caught, this is fraud.

Here is the link to the per diem in Publication 463.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#en_US_2011_publink100033754

No main place of business or work. You may have a tax home even if you do not have a regular or main place of work. Your tax home may be the home where you regularly live.
    Factors used to determine tax home. If you do not have a regular or main place of business or work, use the following three factors to determine where your tax home is.
    1. You perform part of your business in the area of your main home and use that home for lodging while doing business in the area.
    2. You have living expenses at your main home that you duplicate because your business requires you to be away from that home.
    3. You have not abandoned the area in which both your historical place of lodging and your claimed main home are located; you have a member or members of your family living at your main home; or you often use that home for lodging.

If you satisfy all three factors, your tax home is the home where you regularly live. If you satisfy only two factors, you may have a tax home depending on all the facts and circumstances. If you satisfy only one factor, you are an itinerant; your tax home is wherever you work and you cannot deduct travel expenses.

If no money changes hands for the rent, then you can be considered itinerant.

Will it be caught on an audit?

Maybe not.

I had one checked for verification on a client. I expect to see more of this in the future.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. SGTSmokdU

SGTSmokdU Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I used my sisters address for my physical address, while I had a PO Box to recieve any mail. Was able to claim per diem with no problem, I've been audited twice in 3 years with no problems.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

8. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    My question or thought is thisI'm going to go the homeless route too very soon.I currently live in Texas, going to use a friends address to get my mail.They live in texas, so i can change my address on lic. essy enough, stay in Texas, no state income tax.If I rent a room, legit, give them moneyHere is what I wonder, now don't they have to claim that rent money I pay them as income?

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Yes. That is the issue that almost cost my client his write off.

10. SGTSmokdU

SGTSmokdU Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Why couldn't you buy groceries or do yard work in lieu of rent
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

11. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    You're still supposed to claim "traded" or whatever it's called work/room and board, etc. As income. Just sayin'
    mary

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.