Hazmat Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by MelissaBowen, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MelissaBowen

MelissaBowen Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2016
    What does a CDL Driver with a Hazmat Endorsement usually make by the mile? Or do they usually charge by the load?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    You make extra per load if you do dry van. Or you get paid higher percentage if you haul tank.

How much? Not sure. Everyone says it's different. Either way, HazMat can pay better if the job is specific to HazMat loads. Otherwise if your company does mix, than yea, it'll be a per-load thing.

MelissaBowen Thanks this.
  4. MelissaBowen

MelissaBowen Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2016
    We are Hazmat specific. We haul fireworks. I'm going to be looking for drivers or companies here shortly to haul some fireworks across country so we can destroy them and I just want to make sure we aren't getting screwed over. I'm relatively new to this and I don't know too much about it. I really appreciate your help.

5. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I am in PA, and I get $.47 per mile to haul frozen food, as a company driver. Hazmat pay is about .02 per mile more, from what I have seen.

6. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Melissa, if you are talking about getting an outside company to come in and either 1 broker your load, or two directly haul it for you, you are now looking at paying quite a bit more. Obviously you are outweighing the overhead as you wouldn't have to worry about trucks, trailers, cargo, insurance and all, but you will be paying well over $1.00 a mile for that to be quite honest. Also it will depend on where you are shipping out of as well. Normally if it is out of California, you will go broke in shipping costs.

7. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The few loads I hauled for Western Express there was no extra pay. Your just a steering wheel holder to them. Nothing special about hazmat holders. It was required to have to get employment.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hazmat is nothing special. Pay is the same.

It's not just the driver pay but the brokerage, shippers and recievers. Rates around the USA are generally 1.50 all the way up to 2.45 or so depending on where it originated and where it's going.

I got out of hazmat because there are losses in bypass routes, time constraints and other considerations, essentially making work easier for the same pay back then, but not the primary reason I let it go.

If you have a truck and a driver with 20 plus years experience to drive it with a clean record, pay the man 50 a mile to do it. Your fuel will come in second and if you find a immigrant with zero experience, it's very unwise. Hazmat is not to be fooled with.

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Hazmat is not so much driver specific as carrier specific. Mainly, the insurance requirements are much higher and the carrier must possess all the necessary hazardous cargo permits in the various states, as required and is applicable. The "hazmat endorsed driver value" is insignificant in relation to the other needs that are required.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And to add to STexan's post, Fireworks is a form of explosives, at least a class 1 section D if I recall correctly backed possibly by also a flammable because some are burners (Oxidizer?) rather than boom. Next to Radioactive class 7 , the explosives class catch the most scrutiny.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.