Headache Rack, Headboard, Bulkhead

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tommkatz1, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    You may be refering to a bulkhead on the front of a trailer that is bolted on, I was refering to one you build on the proper type of load at the location it is needed with a chain, binder, and 4x4's. When you get on with maverick, they'll explain to you that it is to be making contact with the load to try and help prevent it from actually sliding on the trailer or picking up momentum in the event of a sudden stop....a group of 4x4's stacked on eachother with 1 chain (the way that you build a bulkhead there) does not have the strength to stop 50,000pounds of shiny bar once it starts sliding down the trailor....but if it was already up against the bulkhead and didn't have the chance to gain momentum in comparison with the loss of momentum from a sudden stop....then if your lucky....the bulkhead wont let it get started moving. You'll see when you get there....it makes perfect sense....but on that note what do I know? Maybe someone with experience and training can chime in....though those with experience often differ from those with training....Ha! Hey....we should get "notarps" in on this, see what he thinks. I guess opionions are like a-holes, and maybe mine stinks. ;-)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Ah - no, it makes perfect sense. The basic idea is to supplement the tie-downs to keep the load from moving in the first place. Mass * Momentum = Energy. Energy Baaaaad

Faber Thanks this.
  4. User Name

User Name Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Midwest
    Sheese, guess I just blew by that part......sorry, my bad. But the part about the load not being against the bulk head it wasn't loaded right I guess threw me. About the only thing that uses a dunnage built bulkhead that I can remeber hauling was maybe cold rolled.

5. User Name

Aug 20, 2008
    Midwest
    I also built a bulk head when loading angle or bar stock. Nucor in Darlington, SC was really bad about leaving big gaps between each stack so they could get their chains off. Sometimes they'd leave 10" to 12" gap between each stack.

6. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    no sweat, I've sure thought I was right before and been wrong, could be wrong here. We usually build them for shiny bar as it's slick and can't use chains- and the load is even across the front, or gray bar if you just want it. u know were ever it works....once had a shipper command to load bar first, then buil bulkhead. I couldn't get the bulkhead against the load (since the bulkhead should have been built first and the load pressed against it)- then I screwed up and didn't put a choke wrap with the straps (belly wrap- not gut strap)....anyway I messd up and ended up having to break hard. That crap slammed into the bulkhead so hard it left a circle mark- deep. but luckily it held....if it'd been done right, I don't think it would have done anything. It was a mistake I leanrned from....1. get more sleep- remember to gut strap shiny bar..2.tell the shipper on a load that requires shiny bar-"you will let me build a bulkhead first, and then load the bar against it....just cause you want to be lazy doesn't mean I'm gonna let you load it wrong." But I guess alls well that ends well....be doin good if that's the worste that happens.

7. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    They should have let you use a block of wood between stacks....cheap and lazy on their part.

8. User Name

Aug 20, 2008
    Midwest
    That's called "T-blocking", I can't remember for sure but I don't think that they use them there.

I know that they do use them at the beam mill in Blytheville, AR because I see them stung up & down the shoulder of I-55 & I-57 where they've fallen out.

9. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    That sounds about right......:biggrin_25519:

10. yarddog555

yarddog555 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Just had a problem at work one person at dot says no another says yes. We will never know if you need a bulk head or head ache rack.

11. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Read the regs, your answer is there.

ps: No headboard, headache rack. bulkhead required

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.