Headache Rack?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by MR.D, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Crotts Trucking

Crotts Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Duncan, AZ
    There are different widths. The frame mounts are same size, but I dont think an 86" will fit a pete. I think 68" and 86" are the two standards.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coole99

coole99 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    ok thanks cause this one comes off a pete and i want to put it on either a mid-roof volvo or a freightshaker..

4. Debbie pk63

Debbie pk63 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Yes if you are hauling pipe.:yes2557:

5. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    No they are no longer mandatory since Load Security Standard 10 came into effect.

http://www.saferway.com/load_secument.html

6. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I have asked DOT and was told no headache rack or bulkhead was required if one extra strap or chain was used near the front.
    Lot of flatbeds like myself still use one for the place to carry chains and binders. Just never enough tool boxes.

7. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I would love to live in Morgantown or Nashville....I love it down there. (Im from Indy)

8. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    I have been to a couple shippers that would not load the truck if it did not have a head ache rack on it. I like the ones that my company uses on there trucks(TMC), the nice 3 door enclosed rack. enough room for my chains, binders, 3 of my 4 tarps, straps, rachets for my 2 inch starps, metal edge protectors, tire chains, and a few coil racks. Works out pretty good and I still have atleast 1 side box on the trailer and I have my side box on the passenger side of the truck. I think they are the most Ideal thing for a flatbedder to put all of his gear in and protect it from weather. Especially in the winter time with that snow and ice.

9. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I asked this question a long time ago and got so many different answers. I was inspected in Colorado once and asked a very knowledgeable DOT officer. You absolutely do not need a headache rack or bulkhead to be legal. In fact, allot of guys running a bulkhead could be written up for using it. If freight touches the bulkhead and the freight is higher than the bulkhead that's not legal. According to how the law is written, the bulkhead should be as high as what you are carrying if it is in contact with it. I myself don't run one, even though I heard all the nightmare stories. My headache rack is the high strength steel cab behind me. I'll take my chances with steel over aluminum any day along with properly securing a load. Some pipe companies require one to load but it's not a law. If a company requires it I don't load there, but you would be surprised how often they will ignore their own policy if they need a load to move.

10. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    Seen a piece of rebar go through one of the most beautiful w9's sleeper the other day. Jerk cut him off. Lost a few good payin drill pipe loads because they wouldn't load without rack or bulkhead. They wouldn't even accept a rack with a window hole cut in it. Koppel Steel, Baytown, Tx.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.