Heading For Little Rock! Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by JimTheHut, Feb 2, 2010.

1. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I thought I would start my own instead of tagging onto the other one.
    I got the call today and will be flying into Little Rock on Saturday the 6th.
    Orientation starts at 07:30 on Sunday the 7th.
    The entire process so far has been very professional. Along the way I was able to check the web portal and see exactly where my application was. How many employers had responded and when.
    I had a telephone interview this afternoon and the whole purpose was to make sure that I was accepting the invitation to orientation and what they expected and what I expected.
    Paul, my recruiter, made sure that I understood the process and what I was going to be tested on. He made it very clear that you have to go 10 mph slower than the posted speed limit on the ramps. He then told me the speed limit was 35, so I needed to go 25. He said that is where a lot mess up...by not paying attention.
    He went over the orientation pay and training pay.
    He also had a small questionnaire that I was asked to make sure that my expectations were not unrealistic...ie home time, hours per week ect.
    I am really looking forward to this. I will definitely keep everyone updated.
    I know I learned alot by following the other posts that have been on here.
    :clock:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KCJ

KCJ Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio

Awesome Jim! Good luck, God Bless and please keep us posted.

JimTheHut Thanks this.
  4. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    First Flight was canceled so I am all set on another one.
    The add about bags fly free on Southwest is True. It cost me $50 more for Delta!

KCJ and jerryy123 Thank this.
  5. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Hey Jim,

I got on with Mav back in 03/08, I had been out of a seat for 9 years and they were the only ones who would take me on without a refresher. I did have to go through their new grad orientation (the exp. driver one is a couple of days shorter). Orientation will go by quick, and the securement training was fun and interesting.

A couple of tips. Act, and look, professional. Pay attention to everything (especially the "10mph below posted speed on ramps" rule. More people seem to blow their road test over that than any thing else. Basically, keep in mind that they are watching and evaluating you all week, especially before they tell you that you are officially a employee. But even after that, act professionally. I had a good time when I was out there, learned a lot, and had a excellent trainer.

Good luck, and keep us all posted.

6. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Well the day started off at 6:00 am with over a foot of snow. It took me 2.5 hours to plow it with a 15 hp walk behind plow. Then it was get showered, make sure I have everything and then off to the airport. Due to the level 2 snow emergency, I left the truck at the airport and my wife will go get it later this week.
    The airlines sent my bags to Orlanda Florida instead of here, so I do not have anything other than what I am wearing.
    I am very impressed with the facility. It is first class all the way.
    It is neat to see all the nice maroon trucks parked.
    I got a tour of the facility and it all starts tomorrow at 7:30 AM.
    My verizon signal is iffy at times and can not always get on the internet.
    I will post when I can.

JustSonny, night crarwler and MtDewMan Thank this.
  7. Spacer

Spacer Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to Little Rock!
    :biggrin_25519:

8. KCJ

KCJ Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Glad you made it Jim. The fun and serious gig start now! Good luck to you and keep us posted:biggrin_25525:

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Good luck Jim! I thought you would be impressed with the place. I know I was.:yes2557:

10. screenman_0

screenman_0 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Denison, TX
    Congrats Jim, Best of Luck.

11. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Well the snow followed me from Ohio to Little Rock. We got probably over 5 inches of snow, and sleet. It is expected to drop to 25 tonight.....And the power went out and they moved us down to the red roof in because they did not want to take the chance of us being without heat and hot water this evening. There is a chance that we will not have class tomorrow.
    The first day was excellent. Everything was on time and handled very professionally.
    I have worked for fortune 500 companies and none of them have anything on Maverick as far as organization and the professionalism that I have experience.
    We had half of our physical this morning. We will have to wait to do the agility and road test until things get cleared up weather wise.
    I can not say that Maverick is the best trucking company out there, as this is my first experience, but I do not think that there can be any better ones out there.
    If they follow through with what they have said, than I am going to be very happy.
    I do realize that this is trucking and they can guarantee nothing...but if the company cares about you as this one does, then they are setting the bar for themselves very high. So if they do miss the mark from time to time, then you are going to be so much better off than a company that does not aim high.

I was very impressed with what I have seen so far as what they provide you in the way of chains, tarps, straps and binders. They want it done their way because it is better than the dot.
    There are three former arrow drivers in my class and they were very surprissed at how Maverick does things, the rattings on the gear and their techniques they use.
    It was nice to hear that.
    Hopefully we can get back to class tomorrow because I love what I am learning and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to get on here!
    Later!

KCJ, grusco, sewerman and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.