Heading For Little Rock! Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by JimTheHut, Feb 2, 2010.

1. J_D_Boss_Hawg

J_D_Boss_Hawg Light Load Member

May 25, 2015
    Mebane nc
    Hey Jim,
    I've been lurking here for a while, reading your posts, and the other Mavericks as well. I finally decided to make an account and post. Thank y'all for this all. I am 99.99 percent sure I will pursue a career as a Maverick here in the very near future. I have to square some stuff away with the VA first with a sleep apnea issue. I'm sure, as a fellow retired military member, you know the joys of dealing with them LOL anywho, God bless you. Hope I may meet you one day. I'm in Texas and planning on attending the Truck Driver Institute in DFW area if you recruit out this way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Thanks for the kind words! Best of luck in your new adventure!

4. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Sorry I have not posted in awhile. Things have been busy. Have attended job fairs and advisory board meetings along with my school visits. Have been enjoying the beautiful weather!

SHOJim and bigred81 Thank this.
  5. cloudchaser

cloudchaser Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2015
    on the jouney
    Jim,

I've really enjoyed this thread. I start school in August and Maverick is my top pick. Hopefully I will be fortunate enough to be invited to orientation. I will be attending Chattanooga State's CDL school and was curious if that is one of the schools you visit?

Thanks,
    Emerald

6. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Hi Emerald,
    I do not go down into that area. That will probably be Warren. You can not go wrong by choosing Maverick. I have never had any regrets. Best of Luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Jim

7. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I am going to get to set up a table at the Andrews AFB air show in September. Will be there for three full days. We will hopefully be able to bring one of our trucks. There is an IC driver who is retired Army Special Forces, who has offered to bring his truck.
    Should be fun!

8. cloudchaser

Jun 22, 2015
    on the jouney
    Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I look forward to meeting Warren. I live just south of Nashville TN, so Maverick was in the group of companies I was interested in. I read your entire thread,and it convinced me to put Maverick at the top spot. I just got the call from Ryan,my recruiter,and he said my application had been approved. I listed you as a reference,so maybe you will get a little extra holiday money.

The one question I have for you is regarding clothing. Did you put on coveralls for securement and unloading? You never mentioned whether you put something on over your driving clothes,and I am not sure how dirty flatbedders get securing loads.

Thanks again for such a great informative thread.

Emerald

9. The Fiddle

The Fiddle Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2011
    NWA
    Emerald,

I wear jeans and button up long sleeves typically plus required PPE by Maverick. I do sweat a bit more than most other guys, but the only things that are usually dirty by the time I'm secured and tarped are my hands and clothes. I do recommend higher quality denim and shirts (I wear canvas button ups) so they'll last longer.

Also, I was trying to buy some shirts in the store in NLR when you had Katelyn on the phone. Odd occurrence seeing you here too.

10. cloudchaser

Jun 22, 2015
    on the jouney
    Thanks Fiddle,

I too like wearing long sleeve button down shirts and Duluth cotton canvas pants. I wasnt sure if flat bedders pit on coveralls to keep their clothes clean longer.

I am really excited about getting to come to Maverick and learn how they do things. It is amazing that you were there when I was talking to Katelyn. I wanted to get a hat to wear at CDL school since I am excited about heading to Maverick.

Hope to meet you in person one day.

Emerald

11. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I did wear coveralls when it got cooler. Heavy ones in the winter. In the summer I wore short sleeve shirts unles it was required to have long sleeves. I was usually filty by the end of the day.
    I used baby wipes when I could not get a shower. They worked great. I am happy that you get the chance to work at Maverick. It is a great company! Best of luck and if you have questions, I will my best to answer them. Btw I am on salary so no extras...lol but thanks for the kind words!

kiwi23 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.