headlight problems

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by rheymius43, Mar 11, 2014.

1. rheymius43

rheymius43 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I recently bought some crystal projection headlights to replace my halogen ones. When I installed them I put the high beams on and after a short time all four headlights began to go out then come back on. Only the headlights are affected. This only occurs when the truck is running. When the ignition is off the high beams work just fine. No problems. The ground is solid. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnnyreb0706

johnnyreb0706 Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2012
    virginia
    Make sure they are of the proper wattage. There are two different ratings that i know of and the higher one acted in a similar fashion when i put them in my truck.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It sounds like you need a Warning Canceller, also known as a flicker capacitor.

5. rheymius43

rheymius43 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks! I'll do some checking on both.

6. skinnyb01

skinnyb01 Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I had the exact same issue on mine. Spent a few thousand chasing it. Finally switched to led low beams so I don't need highbeams. What did you figure out?

7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Or first try putting a little bigger fuse 5/10 more amps or possibly just relay

8. K9OTR

K9OTR Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    I'm having the exact same problem in my 07 379. would love to know what the fix is. If I let my batteries run down to about 12v they work fine until the voltage comes up to about 13.5 and above. Then they seem like they shutting off then come back on. I've been screwig with this all day.

9. BRDL

BRDL Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Since July of 2005 Class 8 Peterbilt trucks have been equipped with an electronic module that detects and protects against overcurrent and short circuits. Installation of high power (higher current draw) headlamps cases the control module to believe there is a fault. At 12.1V current draw drops below the threshold. But as soon as the alternator starts to charge and voltage raises up to 14.1V then the current draw increases above the threshold again and the device goes into protection mode.

Many LED headlamps operate within the acceptable operating range of the electronics. It is hit and miss depending on how the headlamp manufacturer designed their product. There really is nothing that can be done to the truck to “fix” this issue since it is behaving as designed.

skinnyb01 Thanks this.
  10. alanbigwheels

alanbigwheels Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan
    I run a projector low beam and matching high beam from Starr. I have 35Watt hid in both. In order for my hids to work properly. I ran a relay for both and use the original low and high power for relay triggers. To make the 9005 bulbs work in the 4 light system. I use a 9007 hid wiring harness and relay on the low beams.

11. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    This is not entirely true. In 2005, only the instruments were multiplexed, lighting was still old school. Multiplexed lighting started in 2008. Since the year or model of the truck is not provided, we can't really help.

Also since this user only made 2 posts 2 years ago, I doubt that we'll ever know what was done to fix it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.