Health insurance for self-employed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rubberducky68, May 2, 2016.

1. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    What about OOIDA? Do they have someone you can go through for health insurance? Seems like I read somewhere they offer paying members a service they can use to find health insurance?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Get ready to have your eyes roll back in your head trying to find "affordable" health insurance.

At this point, you're better off keeping your business net profit commensurate with the health insurance exchange (obamacare) scale for qualifying for the largest subsidy you can get.

You can go on the exchange and find out just exactly what that is.

The "your insurance premiums will go down" mantra by the President was a complete lie...

Unfortunately, it's the hand we've been dealt and until and someone has the political balls to change it, it's a pretty tough row to hoe, especially for someone who is self-employed just starting out.

Good luck!

Bigdaddy00 Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If your from maine try community health options......

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    This. BCBS is on most exchanges too.

Best way (imo) to get your MAGI down is a solo 401(k) which allows you to deduct $18,000/year as the employee plus 25% of your income as the employer (capped at $53,000 total). And most folks will still be able to use a $5,500 IRA on top of that...

It isn't much fun putting $50k away where you can't touch it, but its hard not to when it saves $30k (~$15,000/year in health insurance and another ~$16,000 in self employment & income taxes)

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    That works as a single guy, but you can't raise a family on that, not when you figure in saving for college, etc.

While my kids were in college, I kept expanding my business, using credit to do it on occasion, just to keep my AGI down by aggressively depreciating assets. It created an additional $16,000 in financial aid offers per year, plus the savings in taxes.

Unfortunately, when you stop expanding, the tax man cometh....

Terry270 and fortycalglock Thank this.
  7. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    It is easier as a single guy for sure. But the thresholds do go up with household size.

If your state has the expanded medicaid program, you want your MAGI to be just above:

Screenshot_2016-05-02-13-53-55-1.jpg

So a married couple with 2 kids needs their MAGI to be just above $33,465. Add back the $12,400 standard deduction, add back ~$12,000 in per diem, and that family of 4 is getting nearly free healthcare while earning $58k/year.

Unless you live in a high cost area, that's a pretty manageable income...

8. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    I am a single income family and am managing to live off of $60-65k gross a year with two kids in college. It's hard, I am not going to lie. It would be nice to make a little more a year to make life a little better. Not sure if going o/o is the way to make this happen but I figure at this point what do I have to lose.

9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    That's an excellent point. This is where the gift of Per Diem becomes huge. 58 K for a family with two kids can be done in areas with reasonable costs of living.

10. tonycr

tonycr Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Try state offer insurance

11. tonycr

tonycr Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Well just bit the bullet $1200 a month,I would at least check out government insurance got different packages

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.