Health insurance for self-employed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rubberducky68, May 2, 2016.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    So now your calling me old!!!!! LOL

ramblingman and double yellow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    the only thing that saves me is that I'm still in the military, I tried getting Obama care and they tried charging me 300+ dollars for a single male, no smoke and no health issues... my parents pay 900 dollars a month for basic health insurance I'm sorry but I rather go to outside the country get treated and enjoy a mini vacation and still have money left

dngrous_dime Thanks this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Depends on what state you live in. If your state started a state exchange. It wont be unaffordable insuring a family of four. If you live in a deep red state, its gonna cost more. Im looking at the numbers posted. I notice they are mostly all President Obama haters. There anger is misdirected, they should be upset with there govenor, for picking politics over thier people. The aca (obama care) is not going anywhere no matter who wins in nov. Repeal and replace? Hahaha. Thats what they said about social security. Did your grand parents get thier check last month.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Well I can tell you your wrong,,,,,oh no, your right about me thinking Obama is the worst president in my lifetime, but you are wrong about me hating my state for not signing up, WHY, would I want my state to put even more people on the dole???

How many states that had exchanges that are now broke or non functioning? Are they better off now than before? How many insurance companies are pulling out of ACA right now!!! Give me an example if you will of just ONE instance that adding a middleman (the government) to any process lessened the cost to the end user???

Furthermore, do you want to know why I hate Obama, he had a REAL ( as in first time ever) chance in really doing something positive with the health care crisis, Tort reform, real competition across state lines, sedimentary changes in malpractice insurance, changes in the way services are billed and some of the language that governs health care administrators, all would have all gone a long way toward making this work for everyone.

Instead, he and his cronies decided that having the Government take control and punishing the people that had always paid their own way just so he could parade around with false numbers that he "did something".

After all of these years,
    You weren't able to keep your policy,
    You weren't able to keep your doctor'
    The cost of health care for the majority of us has gone UP not down,
    The ACA is now failing under it's own weight,
    They STILL have not enrolled close to the number of people they said they would in the first year,
    It has forced many Doctors and Professionals OUT of the health care field,
    Will Americans every know the real FULL cost of implementing this failed piece of legislature since the most transparent administration is history (lol) can't seem to get it's numbers straight!!!

Yeah, it's a wonderful thing, lol

And NO, my Grandparents didn't get their checks last month, they are all dead and have been for some time.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Tropsnart Thanks this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    The ACA is doing exactly what they intended it to do when they wrote it and passed it.

7. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Absolutely spot on with what would have brought health care costs under control and they did not look at doing any of it. Tort reform alone would make a huge difference but as most of our legislatures (on both sides of the aisle) are lawyers that will never happen.

It was all designed to fail from the start so they can say they tried a multi payer system but as it failed they must move to a single (government) payer system. They knew a single payer system would never have passed so they came up with this ridicules system designed to fail from the start.

8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG] upload_2016-5-4_6-56-45.jpg
    Here is a reception desk we installed last week for a dental office in Gilbert, AZ. The interior designer purchased this from a company in Italy at a cost of almost $5K. Is it exotic Italian marble? Nope, just white laminate over particle board.
    Could have had it made here locally in Phx. for under $1K.
    That is where our premiums are going.

9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I want to thank all current and future taxpayers, my wife and I are receiving a monthly subsidy of approximately $800 a month on a premium of around $1,200 a month.

The "SILVER PLAN" (Providence) is through the exchange, which our state is part of.

The layers of bureaucracy were to be expected when we got into the system. But that's the way it is with any insurance service.

However, the copays, cost of my 1 prescription are pretty low and we're at least hedging ourselves against a major medical expense, which eventually befalls us all.

The deductibles are still 4k a year for us with an annual out of pocket limit of 8k.

I'm an O/O and I'm shocked by how many guys I know that are self-employed my age (late 50's) and have no coverage at all.

One surgical procedure and a few days in the hospital with lost wages will bankrupt most people.

10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I dont wanna debate politics with you ao i will only say this then 8m done.
    1st a state exchange is not the govt dole. It is harnessing the power of numbers. A group policy with 10,000 people is always going to be cheaper than what you can get on your own by your self.
    2nd dont agree with his policys. But Obama has been one of the most sucessfull presidents in the last 50 years. Why cause against all odds, and with congress working against him. He has manages to progress his (the progressive agenda) thru. Like i said you dont have to like or agree with it. But he got it done.
    As for toue examples how about massassachutes or if that state is to liberal for ya then how about the blazing fire engine hot red state kentucky. Dont have to like, but cant argue facts.
    And yes the progressive or liberal agenda is to eventually get a single payer system. The aca is a great first step towardsthat.
    Once upon a time in my youth. When we were living in indiana. I didnt feel the need to have health insurance. Then my wife broke her leg. Between the er bill, the er doctor bill, the ex ray bill, the doctor to read the ex ray bill, the in hospital prescription bill, the cast bill, the cruthes bill, the person (manditory no choice) who shows you how to use the cruthes bill. That 2 day event cost me over $12,000!!!! And that was 15 almost 16 years ago. Just something else to think about. Prior to the aca, i had to buy and pay full price (why do american made drugs cost more in america than other countries?) For inhalers and abluteral. Because the wife and kids asthema were considered pre existing conditions.
    A person should not bust there ### for 20-30-40 years. Then lose everything and more. Because of a sickness, or disease.
    Finally i sinceraly apologize if i inadvertently insulted you when I asked if your grandparents got their check. However I believe you are intelligent enough to understand the point I was making.

11. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I googled "Maine Health Exchange" and got the federal exchange. I filled out the app and all that, not qualified for subsidies not that I was expecting it. Two providers, Anthem and Harvard Pilgrim, with about 20 plans total to choose from. I'm Single, male, non-smoker, 35 years old and my low deductible silver plan is $321 per month. I also added a dental plan for another $48/mo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.