Health insurance for self-employed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rubberducky68, May 2, 2016.

1. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Do you have any kids on your health insurance? If not that may be why your monthly rate is a lot lower than what I was quoted. Thanks to Obummer, my kids can stay on my health insurance until 25 or they get their own. They are in college so they will be on it for the next few years.

I was quoted over $1300 a month for family coverage. Which to me seems pretty expensive especially when I am only paying $82 a week as a company driver. And from all the o/o's I have talked to at Superior, a lot of them have said stay a company driver because we make almost as much as them when it is all said and done.

If I can't make significantly more money as an o/o then I can't see the point in going that route with all the headaches involved of being self-employed. Now having your own authority, that may be a different story. I am sure you could make a lot more money that way versus being an o/o with your truck leased on to a company. I don't know enough about that end of it to even consider getting my own authority.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    In my opinion, when you lease onto and under someone else's authority, you're not an owner operator, you're a glorified 1099 employee who assumes all the liability on behalf of that company. Especially if you are leasing their truck and pulling their trailers.

The thing that you are missing about owner operators is that it's really just not about whether or not we can "do significantly better" than remaining as an employee. You've made it clear you don't have or understand what that is. Which is cool.

As to my health insurance, no we don't have kids who are on our plan.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Pushing them through, down our throats, when he had full control of congress which they since lost and they wonder why they get push back from congress now... lol

So you are comparing "Obama Care" which barely got 50% of the require vote to pass and came from 99% of the left vs "w" that got what 99% support from the full congress from both sides of the isle... Nice comparison.

JJSKOA Thanks this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Not intended as a slight towards you at all...

But you do realize that "ObamaCare" doesn't actually pay for that half right? Someone else in society is footing that half of the bill and probably won't come due until our kids have to deal with it.

And one wonders why companies must change or back out. Sounds like you are blaming the companies when it's the environment they are operating in that is causing the negative changes. I could be reading that wrong too.

The medical industry needs to be addressed for many reasons but I don't have much hope anything is going to change other than from which pocket the money is coming from.

Introducing more competition is hard to do and until the patient and doctor are responsible for the cost payment then no one is going to control costs as long as "someone else" is paying the bills.

6. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    I agree with you 100% about being a glorified 1099 employee. Only reason for me even considering that route is because a lot of the paperwork, permits, etc are taken care of for you. One less hassle. However, you are only making, in Superiors case, 63% of each load. As a true o/o with your own authority you get 100% of your load pay.

I have an idea as to what is involved getting my own authority. It's not that I am completely clueless, I just don't know all of the process. I could figure it out if I really wanted too. Key words there "if I really wanted to". I do understand what your saying about being the owner of your own company versus being an employee. All I am saying is if the income jump is not enough for my liking, I am not going to bother.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  7. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I'm fully aware of who pays for it. Do I agree with the whole premise of Obamacare? Not really, but it's what's offered, and I'm just trying to keep my family insured for the best price. I'm just playing by the rules set forth until things change, and I'm sure they will at some point.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  8. JJSKOA

JJSKOA Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow you have good value Insurance at Superior!!

What terminal are you domiciled? I'm looking at joining your Morrow terminal.
    How much physical work is required to muscle the hoses and such around.

Thanks in advance

9. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    Scooter,. You must not know how the term owner operator originated? Back in the days of regulation authority handed out like candy,. So about anyone who owned a truck leased on and became an " owner operator",. Actually if you have your authority , you aren't an owner operator you're a carrier. But after being in this for 36 years total ,. And having 8 trucks under my authority for 15 years, and simply getting older and want to take time off without insurance still ticking,. I again leased on to a carrier. Fact is,. Leased to the right carrier, and having the right skillet for business , its no different and far from being a glorified 1099 employee. That's usually a thought for those who need to feel a bit more important. Also, don't confuse a lease purchase deal with with owning a truck, that is not to be confused with simply leasing your truck to a carrier. I do just as well as I ever have. In fact,. Just as well bottom line net than the majority of authority holders. The biggest determining factor is the skill set needed for business, anyone with 300 buck filing fee and ability to get insurance can get authority, that doesn't guarantee success.

10. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    You do realize that as a o/o how much taxes he pays in a year? You figure all the tax on fuel, heavy use tax,. Tag( yes that's a tax), income taxes, 15 per centself employment tax, income taxes, excise taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, tags for personal vehicles, ad valorem taxes on other items,. You can really say someone else is paying that portion of his health insurance for him???? You can't be serious

11. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    A men, brother read my other post,. Nobody has paid nothing for you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.