Health Insurance While Driving in US

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by terryg247, Aug 7, 2015.

1. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Looking at starting with an American company all though they do have a Canadian division and was wondering what kind of health insurance I should be looking into to make sure I am covered. Company coverage kicks in at ninety days.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flyguy35

flyguy35 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I am pretty sure you are covered under the company insurance while working in the U.S during the first 90 days but you are not enrolled in the company full benefits health program until you have completed your probation period. At least that is the way I read it.

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  4. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    any company ive worked for covered you in usa

5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I'm with Conway. I run into the states nightly. We have great west life coverage in the states. Have been to the hospital twice down there. Just called the 800 number on my emergency card, never received a bill. Was also covered through WCB for light duties after even though injury happened in the states.

6. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    I think it kind of depends on the company. When I first started at my current one I wasn't covered under the company plan but they took out a policy for me separately for the first 3 months until I was under the company one.

7. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    It is not automatic that you have any travel health insurance. Up to the carrier to provide but not a requirement. Do not leave Canada without supplementary insurance.

8. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    It's actually kind of a myth. Your provincial health insurance more than likely covers you for acute hospital stays. I had severe dehydration from food poisoning and Manitoba covered it. No extra insurance needed. Any vehicle accidents will be covered by vehicle insurance.

The problem is when you get into chronic conditions. This is where you need to get extra insurance.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Bad advice, IMHO.

An individual needs to read and understand their home province's out-of-province/out-of-country coverage. Most are a variation on the same theme; here is Alberta's statement...

Coverage under the AHCIP
    Insured physician services received outside Canada are paid at the lesser of the amount claimed, or the rate an Alberta physician would be paid for that service or the most similar service.

The rate for in-patient hospital services is $100 (Canadian) per day, not including the day of discharge. The rate for outpatient services is $50 (Canadian) per day, with a limit of one visit per day. These hospital services rates are the maximum that is reimbursed for all services provided to a patient, such as room and board, nursing, laboratory and x-ray services, medical supplies and prescription drugs.

Insured hospital services must be provided by a general or auxiliary hospital. Hospital services provided in a private health facility are not eligible for reimbursement. The AHCIP does not cover food, lodging or other travel expenses.

Alberta Health covers only limited physician and hospital costs outside of Canada. It is strongly recommended that Albertans obtain private supplementary insurance when outside the province or outside Canada, as costs for services can be much higher than in Alberta.​

Even traveling within Canada there are differences in coverages and rates and Quebec does not participate in the reciprocal agreement that all other provinces and territories do.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    terryg247 Thanks this.
  10. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thankfully the company I am with covers the ninety days until my actual benefits kick in.

I tend to work under the principal I rather be safe than sorry

flyguy35 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.