Help and a little advice

Discussion in 'Prime' started by wolf71, Apr 26, 2016.

1. wolf71

wolf71 Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Springlake Nc
    Here we go gonna put my application in with prime in a couple of days and hope to be there by the end of May.

I havent been otr in 11 to 12 years and a lot has changed so new stuff to learn. And before it gets asked yes I am gonna go lease right out the box. Please dont start have read and talked to people about the good, bad, and ugly of it all. The only opinions on that that matter are mine cause I have to do the work and my wife cause she has to put up with me and the truck for the next many many years. We plan on basically living in the truck. Kids grown even though we help them out they are adults now. land is paid for no house of our own yet. And no no safety net where is the fun in that. Local work doesnt pay as good as some might think but it serves a purpose.

Now on to my questions. Are there any prime lease drivers that dont mind sharing knowledge?
    And main question is:
    If I pay myself $700 a week out of my company account in y'alls opinion is that too much or to little? Yes I want to run like a business and pay myself a salary and leave rest in business till I can see that I can give myself a raise.

Thank you in advance for your comments and opinions. Hope to see y'all in Missouri soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    You're assuming after lease payment, maintenance fund, Prime's administrative charges you'll have $700 left to pay yourself. I am an O/O w/own authority, not a Prime sub contractor...so take this for what it's worth. I have 2 friends, 1 who has been at Prime for five years on his second lease, and one who has been at Prime 11 yrs on his 3rd, and from what they've shared, there were multiple weeks where they either just broke even, were in the negative or made a few hundred dollars. Conversely, they've also had great weeks too. My point, don't think you can be so black and white on how you pay yourself. My 2¢. Good luck.

4. wolf71

wolf71 Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Springlake Nc
    Thank you. Yes I am hoping. Under no illusion that its all rainbows and unicorns. My maine thing is is it smart to come up with a $ amount and keep rest in company account for those brake even and god forbid the negative weeks that will come. So there is a reserve to pay myself on those particular times.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    @purpleprime

He had lease to prime. Money wise. U make the same as a company driver

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il

Retired2015 Thanks this.
  7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I don't think the OP cares. He barely knows if he should or will be able too pay himself.

wolf71 Thanks this.
  8. wolf71

wolf71 Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Springlake Nc
    I guess I am asking more if it is better for a $ amount or a percentage amount of gross revenue?

9. Retired2015

Retired2015 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I guess a lot of people would swear by a lease purchase, but the only benefits Ive seen from them are you kinda get to run where and how you want and you halfway get to see what its like owning your own truck. Of the three Ive tried, the company has always made the best money off a lease purchase.
    I finally just bought one.

10. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Most lease drivers dont get to choose loads.

11. Retired2015

Retired2015 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I did in all three of mine. They would tell me what they had and then I would pick the one I wanted. Of course, that was many years ago.

rachi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.