Help for a rookie dump trucker!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by kev2809, Jul 2, 2015.

1. kev2809

kev2809 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Im just starting into the dump truck business! Got my class A CDL and bought my dump truck last week..

its a 94 International tandem with a huge 17ft box...ready for work.

Im wondering if someone can point me in to the right direction of where to start..as in what do i need to file to get this truck to work and on the road legally. Obviously i need to register it and get insurance..but what about certain permits..DOT #?, etc..I have no clue what i need to do first!

Im in Texas by the way...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. j_martell

j_martell Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Centre Wellington, Ontario
    hmmmm....not to be harsh, but maybe things you should have had done/been working on ahead of time?

W923 Thanks this.
  4. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
  5. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Maybe you shouldve researched that before buying?

Concorde Thanks this.
  6. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    why don't you people just answer his question?

idk about Texas i am in california. I needed A Ca# need that first then file for your bit pay heavy road use tax and then get a bit on the truck and that's it.

ted williams, d o g and SHOJim Thank this.
  7. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    ^^ thanks for you reply. i know there are certain things needed to make it legal to drive..but i was just unsure where to start off.

for the others...how can i get a business registered or get anything started when i didnt even have a truck? replies like that help nobody. i got the truck at an auction this passed monday, and i work a 40 hr full time job now that i will be leaving as soon as i get this up and running. so although i knew i would have to eventually figure out what i needed, the timing sort of crept up on me as i didnt know exactly when i would be getting a truck (which i didnt want to register anything not knowing when the hell i would have something to drive).

everyone starts off somewhere right..? if i had someone holding my hand driving me to every office or place that i need to have something filed then i guess i wouldnt have posted here...?

thanks hype6477 for your response

Truckingdaytrader and d o g Thank this.
  8. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    not sure in tx what else is needed but in oregon this is what you need....
    dont let others get you down. plenty of folks here can and will help.

get a business lic first by going on the states business lic registry. they will walk you thru what you need.
    then get a ein number. its free. like a social # for your business. google that. its from the feds and FREE. Dont get screwed by a site that asks for money to do it.
    they go to a bank with your certificate of incorporation and your ein and get a bank account in the business name.
    once that is done go get a insurance policy in the business name for the truck to move it around with a trip permit.
    then go take the truck to a shop an have it inspected and a current yearly inspection sticker placed on it. they will not do this until you fix it according to the federal fmcsa rules. so expect to spend some money.
    next go to the irs builing in your area and pay your hVT heavy vechail tax. walk in and ask and they will show you what to fill out and how much to pay....around 550 for me for the year. it depends on weight and ares you run....
    next go to your local dot office with all the above papers and register your truck. ask them what you need to do and how much to pay....it depends on weight and what areas you run...they will help you figure that out.
    thats why they are there...be nice and sweet talk them....they can and will help....
    they will also help you get a dot and mc number and tell you what to fill out....it will be a waiting period of around 6 weeks before you can operate...but it can be done with not too much headache...

once you have plates on your truck, insurance, a dot mc number, inspection sticker, go find your local weight station and drive that truck in there and ask for an inspection and a csa sticker. they will look it over and be a lot nicer if you go in and ask then if you get cought driving a pos around.

once you have all that go to your local rock quarry and speak to them about work and were to get it....
    find out who is selling the dirt, rick , gravel etc in your area and they will tell you want companies buy it and how to get some one your truck.....

good luck....
    you remind me of ME HAHAH

I did the same thing. BOught a truck before I even had a business lic....HAHHA
    It was a disaster lolol lost around 38k in 6 months and gave up a good job....
    but when I look back it was all meant to be....life is cruel like that....

Im still in trucking even after that bad experience...and I still make money....I made some decent coin over the years and have lost some....but thats life.

you cant live life if you only risk when its a for sure thing....

wining involves risking.....
    and i bet you a million dollars that if you dont flip a coin you will never win a coin toss....

but if you flip a coin you will have a chance...no matter how small...you still have a chance of some kind even if it is 1%.
    Which is better then 100% no chance....

Congratulations with your new to you truck and may the trucking gods smile on you....
    And be warned this industry and this forum is plagued with negative and jaded people....work your way thru it and you will be fine....

everything is meant to be.....

TURKER, tucker, Badmon and 3 others Thank this.
  9. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    thank you! thats exactly the kind of info i needed.

not to sound nosy, but can i ask why/how u lost 38k in the first 6 months?

10. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    I bought a pos, was lied to by the guy who sold it and i was to inexperienced to tell he was lying....so i paid...
    went to the dealer to make sure this thing passes inspection (should of done that before I bought it)...so i paid
    then went and got my own authority and insurance....so i paid dearly for that one...
    then I hooked up with a d bag who promised me these great rates and again I was just to dumb to realize what was going one before I lost money....so i paid...again
    and the last thing was the truck dropped an injector going up a hill.....or down....not sure which it was but it was bad...not even sure if it was my fault....
    ruined the motor. I had to have it fixed just so I can sell it for more then scrap prices. and one last time, I paid..but this time it was out the wazo haah

when everything was said and done, i paid for all the above, my bills while i wasn't making money and then sold the truck for barley half of what i bought it for after i pretty much rebuilt it....

and thats how you lose money in trucking.
    some times my ambition out weighs my commonsense and my experience combined.
    you cant be stupid for free..so be careful and learn from others mistakes.

Badmon and realdesertkickin Thank this.
  11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Google the bridge law. I doubt you can load that 17' bed full without going over axle weights.

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.