Help!!! I'm being forced to haul a unsecured forklift

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Lspilot82, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Lspilot82

Lspilot82 Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Hello and good morning my fellow drivers. I need your help. I work for a company hauling plastic bottles between our plant and our warehouse that's about two miles away. Well, the other day our warehouse needed a forklift, so they just put one on the trailer, no chocks, no chains, no straps. During transit and while making a right turn, the lift shifted on me, slammed against the inside wall of the trailer, causing a huge dent in the wall and also caused the trailer to rock sideways pretty good. It scared me and from that point on I've been refusing to haul them in the dry van. My boss is saying that they are going to continue to haul them as such and I am going to have to continue to do so. The lift is only 7,000 pounds, but I believe could still be a deadly missile in the event of a crash. He told me yesterday that from now on it'll be wedged in the nose of the trailer with the wheels choked. I told him that without straps or chains, and without it being properly secured, I will not haul it. He said, that technically it's against the law, but since the other warehouses do it, then we'll continue to. I again said, not me. I explained to him the scenarios and hypotheticals and what its, however he said that we could argue the what ifs all day long. I said those are real world what ifs and accidents happen. I just don't want to take the risk. So guys what should I do? Continue to haul a unsecured forklift in a dry van risking it falling out of the trailer, or go ahead and break the law, and risk not only my life, but the lives of people around me. I look forward to everyones advice. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Well, you have two choices.

1. Keep your head down do the load, keep your job.

2. Contact your state DOT blow whistle on load, possibly loose your job.

LGarrison Thanks this.
  4. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
    No whistleblower protection?

5. Lspilot82

Aug 8, 2010
    1. Let's see, don't haul load, I get fired, then I sue the hell out of them for firing for not breaking the law. Or.......

2. Continue to haul a unsafe unsecured load, and risk death or serious injury to myself or worst yet a innocent person, go to prison for knowingly hauling a illegal unsecured load, regardless of the small chance of getting into an accident.

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  6. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Call the DOT and get a new job.

Moving Forward, OldHasBeen and Puppage Thank this.
  7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl

pete1 Thanks this.
  8. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    The correct is answer is keep refusing, and start looking.
    However, if it were me, and I liked the job, the lift could hitch a ride with me if needed, and I would find a way to secure it myself.

truckon, BrenYoda883 and tmb0507 Thank this.
  9. Lspilot82

Aug 8, 2010
    Problem is, until I find a new job, I need this one. So what are my short term options you guys think? I will not budge on this. I prefer not to risk public safety. Also, my boss is a manager from the bottle manufacturer, and does not know anything about the laws of the transportation system. Technically he isn't really my boss, just an overseer. I work for a trucking company that is a separate entity.

10. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Can't you drive slowly with hazards and not tip it over? They shouldn't unchock too easily. Securing a load is one thing, you still have to drive according to whether its top heavy or whatever.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  11. Lspilot82

Aug 8, 2010
    Without the proper anchors in the floor, I still think that it would be illegal to haul. They refuse to install anchors and give us restraints. They want to use load locks. Lol. They have no understanding of the kinetic energy a 7,000 pound forklift has, and I guess they have no understanding of physics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.