Help me understand the 90 degree alley dock

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DedicatedDriver, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DedicatedDriver

DedicatedDriver Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeast
    lol!

Good news everyone, I passed the test this past week. On the backing portion, it was rather funny because I did better on the 90 than the offset. The only reason I had trouble passing it the first time was because I needed extra practice, that was all. That's about the only thing that will help you get better at backing, that and getting the basic concept of what you're trying to do and how the truck will respond.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I drove a lot in the 80's, got trained on a 53 foot box late last year, and I've been OTR since January. No two backs are the same, not yet, maybe not ever. Eventually, like the guys who posted said, you get a feel for what's going to work in that hole, in that situation. So far for me, the most important and most effective element is the setup. If I can, I roll my drives about a 4 second count past the hole, turn right 'til I run out of room, make the little S turn til I can see the hole. Also, I adjust my mirrors all the time, even while backing if it's safe, if I'm not right up against the alley. Just wait - blind side is lots more fun.

4. DedicatedDriver

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeast
    I am so glad to hear that someone else adjusts their mirrors while backing. When in school I would do that and the instructors would tell you NO because there's no way to tell if your truck is straight with the trailer. But there's nothing like backing up and trying to curl around a cone and not knowing what the heck is going on. lol

5. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    I'll just give 1 advice, the setup is really the key, if you start turning at the right time and your trailer get into a good position then everything else should be easy.

6. dirtjersey

dirtjersey Light Load Member

Out in this feild you are gonna see ALL kinds of docks. Some you have to wiggle in others your like," what are they thinking?" However, every dock is different and every dock is a new challenge. A few keys to help you are 1) watch where your butt end of trailer is going 2) watch every other angle of the truck incl nose of tractor 3) visualize arial veiw of what your doing ex your pushing a straight trailer into a spot. It does change shape or for the most part size. For 90 degree dock get your but lined up with hole then get back infront of trailer. Its like a game. To make trailer go straight have to be infront, on angle to left or right? Your tractor has to be on the corner of trailer ( not too much) . As you drive more and more you will understand more and more and get more exp. Use your fender mirror to aide you in and when in dout get out and look. I still do. Every dock is different and is a new challenge for the rest of your career. Doesnt matter how many pull ups back in you do. I work with a guy that says if you pull up more than 5 x you dont know what your doing. Hes an old timer, good advice but i disagree with that part. You if dont have enough room to clear when your truck swings, then pull up and back in turning slightly so every few feet your butt end moves closer to the dock the hug the trailer on a driver side. Also get a cone and use it to blind side for now when you have to blind side around a trailer. And just hug the cone with your tires. For tail swing have your trailer tail no more than 6 ft of over hang. Anything more will clip something. My boss bolted are tandems in at 6 ft over hang. Never have a problem driving in down town philly. Good luck and take your time. There is NO RUSH. When you rush #### happens. Even when driving take your time. This is your time to get the feel of driving and backing. In a big drop yard...practice. at a shipper or rec. When no trucks are coming then take the hard spot.

7. dirtjersey

Another tip is when you past the hole and start turning count the trailers you see as your turning when you come to the trailer nearest the hole your going for then straighten out

8. dirtjersey

congrats DRIVER :biggrin_255:

9. DedicatedDriver

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeast
    Thanks! :) I am beginning to understand what everyone is saying how it is so different every time you do it. It's difficult to adopt such a concept when I am such a logical methodically thinking person! :biggrin_2559:

10. dirtjersey

Yep you will learn what manuever to do for where.. fyi when you go otr tske many pics. when you go local you will want to remember.

11. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Congrats, Driver! Take your time, enjoy the ride.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.