Help!...Need help with a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia DD15!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by William Barrizonte-Rojas, Sep 27, 2015.

1. William Barrizonte-Rojas

William Barrizonte-Rojas Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Hello and Greetings to all the truckers who make our daily lives much better from helping to bring that fresh food to our tables to those needed building materials to keep building this great country. I will try to be brief but my story is so long, complicated and sadly said, expensive and stressful, to the point I’m thinking right now just to bail out of trucking altogether and file for bankruptcy after so many attempts trying to make this truck to run; this is a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia DD15; back in April after some research I decided to buy this truck from Nationwide Haul which acquired it from Crete Carrier in Salt Lake City; it had around 516,000 miles on it; on the way back to Las Vegas, a single check engine light came on briefly and went away, took it to do a diagnostic or dyno to the Detroit dealer in Las Vegas and after $350 the results showed a leak in the engine coolant system, Crete Carrier told the dealer they would pay for that repair, so we drove back to Utah, again! (430 miles one way), there I was sent to SLC Detroit and they told me they found some other problems beside the leak, of course!, like belts and bearings were all bad, bad batteries, etc.… but the worst they found supposedly was a problem with the camshaft, pistons and cylinder heads which luckily was still under warranty along with the coolant leak, I still had to pay $850 for other repairs, the whole down time sitting at home waiting since they told me it could take from 2 to 3 weeks! But it turned out to be a month and a half that it took for them to fix it, finally took my first couple of flatbed loads to Idaho and truck started leaking from between the engine oil pan and transmission box, took it back to Detroit SLC, they told me the leaking has nothing to do with the previous work done by them, so I ended up coughing up $2000 for these new repairs, on my way back to Las Vegas on I-15 after I passed Mesquite climbing a hill I ran out of fuel (my fuel gauge is defective and realized it shows the tank is half full when actually is near empty) then both engine lights came on and truck lost power and was shaking a lot, stopped at a rest area 60 miles from Vegas, noticed the leak was still there, got fuel in my tanks again and drove home fine except the leak was still there, Detroit SLC told me to take it to Freightliner in Las Vegas that they were supposed to honor the warranty of the recent repairs, sure enough I ended up paying another $6000 since mysteriously none of the leaks was related to the repairs done in Utah and on top of that they supposedly replaced the injectors harness and the input shaft that goes from the engine to transmission box; picked it up and took a route all the way to Coral Gables, FL, between loads; one morning in Louisiana right after turned engine on, boom! The two check engine lights appeared again with the same effect, power loss and engine shaking, so same solution, turn engine off and on then the problem went away until a few days later it did it again on my way back in Houston, TX; leak was always there like they never fixed it but I kept going to try to make some money and recover some of the repairs, got back to Vegas and took a load from Kingman, AZ and on the way to Bakersfield, CA the 2 dreadful check engine lights came on again!!, this time both check engine lights never went away even after turn the truck engine off and on; I barely made it to the delivery site since I had no engine power really, thank god it only weighted 9000 lbs., called Freightliner Las Vegas and told me to bring the truck in immediately, I was skeptical and wary of these dealers way of doing business but I trusted one more time with their promises that they will honor the repairs warranty, sure enough, 2 days after the truck was brought in, they called me with the magic estimate of $8000, to “repair” they said, 3 failed injectors but “strongly recommend” to replace all 6 injectors plus to “fix” the leak that once again, was not coming from a previous repair, therefore, is not covered by warranty!; I refused their service not before paying $600 they said I owed for the diagnostic, so I took the truck to a small, independent mechanic who confirmed the problem with the injectors, I replaced them all rebuilt and repairs again put the bill at $3075, took my truck home and then again those too hateful check engine lights came on one more time on my way to pick up a load, back to this mechanic again, told me that the alternator was generating too much voltage (15.3 V) and was affecting the computer, harnesses and ECM, replaced the alternator, another $360!; took it for a test drive, everything ok, next day the mechanic told me to drive it one more time to be sure and after 15 miles down the road those lights came again, same old problem still unfixed, the two checkengine lights, loss of power and engine shaking, now I’m sitting at my PC to see if anyone out there has have similar experience with this type of truck or same problem, any help, advise or reply will be appreciated, drive safe and thanks to all fellow truckers that would answer.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Has anyone pulled the codes? I feel it's an ecm fault at this point

4. William Barrizonte-Rojas

Sep 26, 2015
    Hello and thank you for the quick response, I will get the codes tomorrow, also the mechanic said something about ECM or computer being "fried"! to this point I don't know what could be really wrong with this truck.too many problems; Thanks again.

5. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    The computers on newer trucks are very sensitive to voltage.

6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Just wanted to say good luck man, I hope you get it figured out.
    I certainly feel for you, my truck this year has really killed me on maint expenses. Big time.
    Keep plugging away, you'll eventually get ahead of it!
    I'd certainly be careful when going to any stealer, those places are complete money pits most of the time. They know they can hit you with a huge Bill any you'll go up the highway, likely never to come back if you're not from the area.
    Highway Robbery!

7. William Barrizonte-Rojas

Sep 26, 2015
    Hello, as of right now I'm to my last penny, 'cause this POS of a truck hasn't let me drive yet, not even to cover half of my repairs expenses, I'm learning my lesson the hard way when it comes to buy a used truck, I have my last hope on a small house mechanic, who says he's convinced the problem is pinpoint to the ECM or the harness and this is what I will have to work next, good luck to you and safe driving and thank you for the reply.

8. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Please let me know the codes. I work for authorized Detroit dealer I maybe able to help you out over the web. The DD engines are notorious for leaks from the cam frame, head gasket, oil module, high psi fuel pump, air compressor and the leak you repaired between the oil pan & transmission was the rear housing gasket. There also is a rear cap with a seal for the gear on the cylinder head and that leaks and eventually makes it way down below and can easily be overlooked.

9. William Barrizonte-Rojas

Sep 26, 2015
    Hello, Thank you for your response and concern, did you see the attached pics in this thread? that's is the only info. that is displaying now even after the ECM was replaced, if there should be different codes, can you tell me how to retrieve them? Thank you so much for trying to help.

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/917-13.pdf

The above is the link to the Detroit service manual in regards to spn 000651 that you have photographed from your info display. spn 000653 is identical procedure, 651 is for cyclinder injector one, 652 is for cylinder injector two, etc to 656 for cylinder injector six.
    It seems to suggest a wiring problem. If the previous owner liked to pressure wash the engine, water may have gotten into the connector for the injector harness causing corrosion of the pins.
    There is a front harness for injectors one through three and a rear harness for injectors four through six. So it looks like your front harness.
    But it maybe the connector on the ecm. The above pdf should help you in figuring out where the problem may be.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    +1...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.