Help new CDL grad to optimize

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucko, Aug 3, 2015.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    i am the guy who believe that everything comes from own experience, especially in trucking industry, but I believe lot of insights can be presented that can save future accidents, increase income, choose best state and location to be based in etc.

I am new CDL grad and i don't want to make mistakes that affect my future income, career and let me miss some opportunities because of lack of knowledge and experience

MY FUTURE PLAN IS TO BECOME OWNER OPERATOR AND EVEN ADD TRUCKS AND HIRE DRIVERS. SO THIS IS MAIN GOAL AND I WANT TO OPTIMIZE EVERYTHING TO MEET THIS GOAL

my short list of questions are as follows:

1. which state(s) to be based in, Taxation wise, weather wise. I am in New Jersey and NY is familiar too, but I see truck drivers often pulled over all the time in these areas, bad roads, bad weather, always traffic. I liked Florida when i was there, also people say Nevada is good. i dont own home so it is easy for me to move to different state

2. Top 5 companies to work as CDL grad. especially interested in long distance trips. NY-LA

3. Companies that love team. I asked this question in different thread but I want to generalize everything in this thread

4. Cheap truck maintenance facilities by states. I know simple mechanic stuff to change hoses, filters, fuses or very simple things, but if truck needs major technical maintenance where are good and not pricey spots?

5. Insurance. When i become Owner Operator, which insurance companies would you recommend also by state as far as rates are different by States

6. Incentives on buying new trucks. i am going to finance completely new truck and I know some States are giving tax benefits who buys new truck. I know NYS will waive sales tax if you buy new truck. But i don't know if there are other incentives in different states or even there are Federal incentives too

7. companies that can give you some money rewards for signing up with them. are there companies who would consider giving you some rewards if you refer driver. we are two guys and can refer each other

8. what are equipment list to have to simplify driving, like best GPS equipment, useful Radio, are there secret routes which newbie drivers do not know?

9. When you own truck can you make extra money for having advertisement on trailer? If Yes where to apply?

10. Finally which truck is optimal to OWN. Refrigerator (I have heard good things about it), flatbed, car car carrier? i have heard car carriers are pain in the ### as far as often breaks down??

thank you so much if anyone is willing to spend valuable time in answering these questions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.OOIDA.com is good for the owner-operator and small fleet owner.

4. roadmap65

roadmap65 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I would recommend you slow way down. Get a few years under your belt and then start brainstorming on how your going to buy trucks and hire drivers and all that other stuff. After 25 years i still have no desire to own a truck. I'm probably the last dinosaur but i don't have GPS or any fancy navigation. The man that taught me, made me learn a map and route every load. So many new drivers do not know the basics of a map.Hope that helps.

RetiredUSN, Canned Spam and Cody1984 Thank this.
  5. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Honestly NY and NJ are two of the worst states to live in when in comes to taxation and cost of living so moving somewhere else even taking a pay cut in doing so you will probably actually have more money since you won't be spending as much on taxes and cost of living.

As far as your future plan goes find out if you even like or don't mind driving truck first. If you think you are going to have own company right off the bat before you even truly enter this industry then you are seriously setting yourself up for failure. Get your foot in the door first then take it from there because you might end up hating trucking.

As far as companies offering long distance trips between NY and CA that is becoming more of a thing of the past. A lot of loads that are long distance like that anymore are just getting placed on trains anymore. The Intermodal sector of trucking has had extreme growth in the last decade and that is where the coast to coast freight has been going mostly.

As far as all the owner operator questions go again first get into the industry as a company driver to see if you like it or not before making that plunge.

6. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    X10000!!

7. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I'll hold off on most of your questions as you're dreaming way to big and will probably quit your first week out.

Every company loves teams. Some that hire new drivers:
    ODFL
    US Xpress
    Schneider
    Stevens
    Covenant

Barbee's Girl Thanks this.
  8. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I've also heard a lot of positives from teams that drive for R&L.

9. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Great answer!

I still buy a new Rand Mcnally every year. I dunno why.......i'll probably never go OTR again. I know a lot of new and experienced drivers who rely on the GPS a little too much. I used to set my Rand McNally on the steering wheel at the end of every day and use it as a mini desk to update my logs, or route a pre planned load that was set as soon as I unloaded the current load. The "truckers" GPS is very nice, but it does overlook some time saving routes.

roadmap65 Thanks this.
  10. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    "Turn left.....in 50 feet"
    [​IMG]

lfod14, Longarm, DC843 and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I see the importance of knowing your map and everything but I cant understand why you would purposely choose to do so over a gps. the nostalgia I guess?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.