Help powering a Cobra 85 Dynascan Base station.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Joelegends, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Joelegends

Joelegends Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    I have an old Cobra 85 base station but not the power cord. I've looked online but come up short when trying to buy a replacement. I figured with only positive and negative going in, I'd just wire a cord directly. When I opened the radio up I found one of the cables were Orange instead of just red and black. The original cord would have had 5 holes, three on the right and two on the left. The middle of the three doesn't have a connecting wire on the inside of the CB though.

With all that being said, anyone have an idea what the Orange wire is as far as + or -?

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    That model came with two power cords, AC and DC. If you are unskilled have a tech wire it for you. In the plug are 2 pins for the 117 VAC power transformer when used as a base as well as ground and plus 13.8 VDC for mobile or off grid use. The schematic was drawn with an error on the power plug, the top pin on one side (orange wire) is plus 13.8 VDC, the bottom pin is DC ground but they do not show the connection (they show a capacitor to ground). Basing this on the schematic so don't even trust that, look at it carefully. They show the top and center together. Having not seen this model in say 30 or more years I would look to be sure. In any case the opposite side of the plug is AC only connections stay away from that. Someday you may wish to wire it for AC. In any case use an inline fuse (3A max) plus to pin for orange wire, if unsure on the negative go to the DC ground on the main board. I assume you are hard wiring it for DC use

Attached Files:

• 85.pdf
      File size:
      199.8 KB
      Views:
  4. ChetsJug

ChetsJug Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    You probably figured this out by now but anybody else wondering about the Cobra 85 yes it has two chords and the AC cord has two plugs for the AC side. All you have to do is plug in any old AC cord that has the twin plug. Every Boombox has one and even a few large box fans. You don't need to cover the other plugs if you're just running AC; They can remain exposed. If you want to run D.C. you will be using the triple pin stack on the right. remove the black wire and move it up to the center lug it is not being used for anyting but making sure you don't put the plug on upside down . The spacing on the three lugs are equal to the DC Appliance cables you can get at a truck stop with a cigarette lighter plug on one end and a twin socket female on the other end. You can plug that onto your top and middle lugs. You can trim a little plastic off of your new plug so that it fits if needed. But it should just push right on. I just checked this on mine and both work fine. I was lucky to find a new Cobra 85 in the box with original power cords not to mention license application warranty and owner's manual. Nice little radio though I am not fond of cobras but I do like vintage lol....

To answer your question on the orange wire the orange wire on the top lug of the triple pin DC SIDE is only your DC positive wire

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.