Help, Swift Driver training, any help also, refrigerators, what to expect

Discussion in 'Swift' started by beachin, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Quit spoilin' that rascal! He needs a sleeping bag and pillow while he's riding with a trainer/mentor. He can switch to those 1000 count Egyptian sheets after he's a solo driver.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I'm bald too, they keep going until they find hair. If his entire body is completely clean shaven they will take blood.

4. beachin

beachin Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Why do they do that? Are the tests more in depth? He doesn't do drugs. Over 6 years ago he used to smoke marijuanna but he's been working for prevailing wage Solar Plant Industrial running heavy equipment. It was never worth the risk.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lawsuits.

6. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Hey beachin. Your husband should be fine. There are quite a few threads talking about mentor time here...

The main thing will be finding a mentor he can work with, but not allowing the few who use him as a team driver instead of training him, to run over him.

If his mentor sucks, he should not be afraid to ask for a mentor. Some people's personalities clash and some people are "insert expletive here".
    He will have his DDC'S number for a reason, that is his contact during mentor time and he should keep him/her updated. They can't help him if they don't know anything is wrong.

Some people like me only had one mentor, and they got along famously. Mine ran hard, but taught me as much as he could along the way. He's been with swift 8 years. But some people like kry0n get one that is just using them as a paycheck, and swift needs to be made aware of that, because after a few students getting off their truck swift starts to look really hard at that mentor and whether they need to remain one.

GWS and beachin Thank this.
  7. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    As far as getting him stuff, wait until he upgrades to solo, there is nothing a mentor hates worse than a student with 3 bags of clothes, a cooler, five pairs of shoes, his own sheets, etc etc.... there will be two people living in close quarters and space is usually at a premium.

Most people recommend one duffel bag, a backpack and a shower bag. I used my backpack as my shower bag, but that's up to him. One pair of boots and a pair of flip flops or shower shoes for showers in terminals... *shudder* and his own towel. Truck stops provide clean towels but terminals do not. He will want one.

The one thing I do recommend you get him, is any medicine he may need (aspirin, pepto, etc.) As they rape for it out here on the road and there isn't always somewhere nearby that has it. Also, get him a zip lock bag and fill it with those laundry detergent "pods". They will save him money and keep his clothes smelling like you wash them at home. Laundry detergent on the road is way overpriced and some places you can only get powder.

Sneakerfix, beachin and Dreamboat Thank this.
  8. beachin

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Thank you all any additional info is helpful. So to be clear I should sent him with a new mattress, ref. TV, xbox, blankets, pillows, sheets, boom box, popcorn, cotton candy, teddy bear... Let me know if I left anything out.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  9. beachin

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Hey on Plow and hearths website I saw body pillows that are horses or cats or bears. Maybe one for his mentor as well. And oh new pink curtains for the front windows of the truck. ;)

10. beachin

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    LMAO we both are. Big pink dice to hang.....

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    pink teddy bear

beachin and HousTank Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.