Here I go again.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dynogt16, Sep 30, 2015.

1. dynogt16

dynogt16 Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    Princeton, Indiana
    So I bought my first truck last year(march) it was a 1999 western star. Shortly after putting it on the road my mom passed. I got bent out of shape. Well I just bought and paid for my second chance truck 1997 FLD series 60, Rockwell 10sp, and 2.79 rears, and its flattop. It needs love. Can anyone suggest a decent salvage yard for some parts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dynogt16

May 4, 2010
    Princeton, Indiana
    Here it is.

Attached Files:

4. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Doesn't that salvage yard where you bought that 97 truck have parts ??..lol jk, but thats an old truck,you could be spending more than you paid for it parts,right ?

5. dynogt16

May 4, 2010
    Princeton, Indiana
    I could completely restore this truck for 40gs and be happy or i can buy a newer emissions truck and be just as broke.

6. dynogt16

May 4, 2010
    Princeton, Indiana
    This is paid for as of friday. Plan to work on it all winter and maybe next summer.lol

7. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    If you have the head and the hands i say go with the old one.....at least for now!

Good luck

dynogt16 Thanks this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Nice old truck!
    Need help - like where you live.

dynogt16 Thanks this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    @Big_D409 may have a few online suggestions for you. He has an older Sterling that can be tough to find parts for, and has a few favorites.

dynogt16 and Big_D409 Thank this.
  10. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    That is a slick ####ing truck

dynogt16 Thanks this.
  11. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    Ahhhhh the junkyard gig... for me I check out Rydemore truck parts since they have a ton of sterling parts. I spend quite a bit of time on both heavy truck parts and truck parts inventory. That allows you to see what most have in their junkyard. Not a huge fan of either, but you can search through hundreds of pages and find something. You should have an easier time than me! Before pulling the trigger on a junkyard part, get a quote from your local freightliner parts guys. You might be able to get certain things at a better price new over used. Vander haags offers a ton of "cheap" used parts, but their shipping is outrageous!!! Also hit up eBay. I check it daily and you never know what NOS (new old stock) might get posted.

Hope this helps get you going. Props to buying an older truck by the way! I was reminded earlier why owning a discontinued truck is a PITA. I'm working towards buying a metal bender and welder so I can start fabricating my own parts/brackets and take parts from other trucks.

Oh yeah if you're interested in making your own parts, online metals has a great selection and you can order custom sizes of aluminum or stainless or different finishes and such. I'd say too if you are going to refinish your interior, making your own panels out of plywood is much easier. Plus you can wrap them in leather or vinyl of any color!

blairandgretchen and dynogt16 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.